Sign in to follow this  
uneedav8

Cleaning out the PS3

I have the original fat PS3 and I have not cleaned it out since it was purchased. I've google this and I have seen the (power on and press the eject button) to ramp up the fans (doesn't seem to work on mine), all the way to taking the who thing apart to clean it out. No sure I want to use a vacuum on it. Is there something in between this that will clean it out? thanks! 

Compressed air works well, also high-five for being part of the fat ps3 master race

take it apart and replace the thermal paste! thats what I did and now it runs amazing. plus they aren't very vaulable anymore so it's not a huge risk.

Vacuums are better for sucking out the dirt and dust as compressed air can just shove it around. Otherwise, like HBC said, open it up and redo the thermal paste. I'll be needing to do that with mine soon.

correct me if im wrong but doesn't a vacuum create static when using the plastic attachment I mean you could tape it up with electric tape inside and out. also I use just a air compressor with the air turned down a little and hold the fans while blowing them out. I also do this out side so no clean up lol.

Edited by capthowdy575

If you have it on carpet, maybe? But no, vacuuming out a PS3 won't harm it in any way, shape, or form.

From Sony:

"It is important to maintain your PlayStation 3 system by keeping the vents on the system free of dust. Because dust can accumulate in the vents of the PlayStation 3 system, we recommend that you check the vents periodically (and clean them if necessary). After turning off your system and unplugging it from the electrical outlet, you may remove any accumulated dust with the hose attachment of your vacuum cleaner or with a small handheld vacuum.

Important Note: Do not use compressed air to blow out your system. This can cause the dust in the vents to be blown into the PlayStation 3 which could possibly damage your system. "

take it apart and replace the thermal paste! thats what I did and now it runs amazing. plus they aren't very vaulable anymore so it's not a huge risk.

Not valuable moneywise? I'd argue that the fat PS3s are the most valuable PS3s there are

Important Note: Do not use compressed air to blow out your system. This can cause the dust in the vents to be blown into the PlayStation 3 which could possibly damage your system. "

Who would ever recommend that :roll-eyes: