amd r9 fury bench leaked?

Tell that to a gtx480 and see what it says back. It may shoot a flame out the back. HOWEVER, sense the gtx 580 and onward with the gf110 core they have had there heat under control. Like cokeman said there cooling solution was more then enough for the 980ti. seems though while overclocked compaired to there last batch of amd cards they were fine until you overclocked it, then it was an issue. Heck I wondered what the ACX 2 cooler evga came out with does with the 980TI. After a quick search its only an 8c drop so I would guess not. and that is only in gaming as well. I wonder what happened there. 

We shall see if AMD can get the single GPU crown, Have better temperautres AND keep the games from crashing constantly. :haha:

I meant the last few generations have had their heat under control. Nvidia has built several flamethrowers but none within the last few years. If nothing else they figured out how to make a good enough blower cooler to compensate.

The max temp for the Fury is only supposed to be 75c. Maybe the AIO just to help keep the cores from getting up to what would be normal temperatures for other cards.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Plus, only 4GB VRAM. Why do they launch a R9 390X with 8GB VRAM and a faster R9 Fury X with only 4GB? Doesn't make sense to me.

I was really interested with the HBM, so I focused mostly my reading on it when I read multiple reviews on the card. From what I have learned reading reviews on this Fury X is that there seems to be a cap on the VRAM, only 4GB. Please, anyone learns otherwise, correct me. :)

It seems the Fury X shines mostly when used to 4K res. Would really love to get two of these, but no matter what I would do to my current case set up, it would not fit, couple that to the fact that the fan/radiator depends on ambient air to properly cool the gpu. One of the rad would have to be inside the case, towards the front, the other one, on the back, sucking in warm air from inside, blowing out to its rear.

Now, I kinda wonder what is going to be like on the regular Fury with air cooling, hence my purchase balance now leans more toward the 980 Ti.

Edited by Voltes_5

HBM version 1 is limited on density / number of stacks. Because the Fiji core is so big, only 4 HBM dies fit on the interposer, and each die has a max of 1 GB of capacity.

HBM version 2 is expected to double (or more) that amount and future cores can be smaller as well (the interposer has a fixed maximum size as it is a silicon die) to allow for more dies on the interposer.

It seems okay at 4K until vram is an issue, anything under seems meh unless they drop the price. Wonder how much harder it is to cool the HBM too, it does work and allows for shorter cards so that's nice, will be interesting to see how the nano performs

Would be nice to see a new architecture tho, maybe next year