HDMI 2.0 Support Missing on AMD Fiji Silicon

gebraset

news38910_1-hdmi_20_support_missing_on_a

It has been confirmed by an AMD representative on the OCUK Forums that the latest silicon from the processor and graphics card company will not support HDMI 2.0. The latest standard of the display technology offers ample bandwidth for 4K Ultra HD at 60Hz, but happens to be missing from AMD

I don't see this going good for amd since pc gamers running 4k care about refresh rate. also people have been holding out for this card for awhile now. I know I'm still waiting for skylark and all this monitor craziness to settle down first. I really want a curved display but I also want 144hz refresh rate lol

What a waste. I no longer care about this card for my desktop...I've been eyeing 60Hz 4K TVs for a while now.

isn't dp superior ? and dp is cheaper because there is no royalty cost like as hdmi 

Edited by jdm_freek

If you're connecting to a TV, HDMI 2.0 is preferred over DisplayPort 1.3, and full bandwidth on HDMI is able to be carried at longer distances than DisplayPort. So while DisplayPort has a higher bandwidth, it's limited to three meters, whereas HDMI can carry its full bandwidth up to ten meters.

NVIDIA has HDMI 2.0 support with the GTX 900 series and TITAN X, so it's curious why AMD decided not to with the Fury cards.

If you're connecting to a TV, HDMI 2.0 is preferred over DisplayPort 1.3, and full bandwidth on HDMI is able to be carried at longer distances than DisplayPort. So while DisplayPort has a higher bandwidth, it's limited to three meters, whereas HDMI can carry its full bandwidth up to ten meters.

NVIDIA has HDMI 2.0 support with the GTX 900 series and TITAN X, so it's curious why AMD decided not to with the Fury cards.

and why would this be an issue with pc gaming?

There are people who use a TV as a monitor or have their computer connected to a TV in the living room for an HTPC.

ok but correct me if i am wrong but a tv makes for a horrible monitor and not many people are going to buy an enthusiast gpu for a htpc

it would be such a waste.

the same goes for those who might buy this gpu for 1080p. i am going to spend $650 on a gpu its going to be because i have 4k monitor

and the goes for the titan x why spend $1000 on a 12 gig gpu and mate it with a $200 1080p monitor such a waste  

hell they tested it at 12k @ 60hz im sure it can do 4k @ 60hz

http://wccftech.com/amd-fury-x-tested-12k-60fps/

Edited by jdm_freek