Pc crush on certain games

Hello  , so i have recently overclocked my cpu and theres a game where i can play for hours without any problem , and theres games where it crushes my pc , Prime 95 run just fine though , i been told to run furmark for gpu test and as soon as i start the test pc crush , With a lower resolution i can run the furmark just fine but games still crush my pc,Even with default system settings ( without overclock) games still crush, Any ideas of what the problem might be ?

Heres my specs:

Cpu i7-4770k 4.4ghz 

Ram : Team vulcan -2133 16gb     1333mhz 

Motherboard : Gigabyte Z87X-OC

GPU : Amd radeon hd 7990 6gb

SSD : Samsung ssd 840 series

Power supply : Corsair tx850

Edited by lolita1023

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there. 

What are your GPU temps during the Furmark test or during the games where you are experiencing crashes ? (Use a tool like MSI afterburner) 
What are your CPU temps are during gaming ? (Use a tool like Coretemp)

What is your current AMD graphics driver ?
And is the crash a Blue Screen or does it flicker/show a message of "Driver stopped responding" and does it need a system power button reset to fix ?

Hi there. 

What are your GPU temps during the Furmark test or during the games where you are experiencing crashes ? (Use a tool like MSI afterburner) 

What are your CPU temps are during gaming ? (Use a tool like Coretemp)

What is your current AMD graphics driver ?

And is the crash a Blue Screen or does it flicker/show a message of "Driver stopped responding" and does it need a system power button reset to fix ?

Gpu temps below 50

Cpu temps 50-55 ( On a game that doesnt crush )

Graphics driver version : 13.251.9001.1001

Yes as soon as the game load i get a blue screen and immediately restart ( When blue screen,it doesnt show any error code , its more like fading) , hard to explain but i hope you understand

Edited by lolita1023

Have you tried setting the 4770k back to stock and setting the RAM down to 1333MHz? 

That graphics driver is pretty old, I think it's from December 2013 ? Try updating the drivers to a newer WHQL version - should help with performance in games too. 

Have you tried setting the 4770k back to stock and setting the RAM down to 1333MHz? 

That graphics driver is pretty old, I think it's from December 2013 ? Try updating the drivers to a newer WHQL version - should help with performance in games too. 

Ive tried setting it back to default bios but game still crush , as for ram always been 1333mhz , 

Graphics driver 21/7/2014 , used the auto detect program from amd , this is suppose to be the latest drivers

Did you experience these crashes & hangs prior to the overclocking? Since from what you explain it seems that now even without any overclock the game is still crashing, is that correct?

When you have no overclock active, can you run Furmark (at your native resolution)?

Don't want to sound bleak, but if a card with the latest drivers, and no overlcock active can't run a benchmark without crashing, the card might be dying? :(

Did you experience these crashes & hangs prior to the overclocking? Since from what you explain it seems that now even without any overclock the game is still crashing, is that correct?

When you have no overclock active, can you run Furmark (at your native resolution)?

Don't want to sound bleak, but if a card with the latest drivers, and no overlcock active can't run a benchmark without crashing, the card might be dying? :(

Well let me tell you the story , i have first overclock my system at 4.4 and it was working fine for about a week, all games no problem at all , then i decided to overclock ram and then is when the system start to become unstable , so i went back to default ram settings , format both my ssd and hdd,got my system stable at 4.4 ( prime95 runs with no crush) now here we are,with that problem

As for furmark i can run it with 1920x1080 at both default system bios and at 4.4 . Ive just test it .

I dont think is gpu , must be something else , havent touch my gpu in terms of overclocking and besides why would i be able to play other games with no issue if it were the gpu .

Edited by lolita1023

Well let me tell you the story , i have first overclock my system at 4.4 and it was working fine for about a week, all games no problem at all , then i decided to overclock ram and then is when the system start to become unstable , so i get back to default ram settings , format both my ssd and hdd, now here we are,with that problem

As for furmark i can run it with 1920x1080 at both default system bios and at 4.4 . Ive just test it .

I dont think is gpu , must be something else , havent touch my gpu in terms of overclocking and besides why would i be able to play other games with no issue if it were the gpu .

Oh, so you can run Furmark. I thought you said that as soon as you would try to run it, it would crash regardless, and you could only run it at lower resolutions. That might have been a sign that the VRAM is dying? /shrug As for why certain games might crash and others not, GPU usage or VRAM usage. But again, you just said you can stress test your GPU without any issues at this point so that's not the problem.

Do you play in fullscreen or windowed mode? Some games run without any FPS lock in windowed mode, so it'll keep your GPU at nearly max load the entire time. Don't recall which one, but a game used to do this to me.

Scrapping the bottle of my barrel in terms of advice/suggestions.

Well let me tell you the story , i have first overclock my system at 4.4 and it was working fine for about a week, all games no problem at all , then i decided to overclock ram and then is when the system start to become unstable , so i get back to default ram settings , format both my ssd and hdd, now here we are,with that problem

Oh, so you can run Furmark. I thought you said that as soon as you would try to run it, it would crash regardless, and you could only run it at lower resolutions. That might have been a sign that the VRAM is dying? /shrug As for why certain games might crash and others not, GPU usage or VRAM usage. But again, you just said you can stress test your GPU without any issues at this point so that's not the problem.

Do you play in fullscreen or windowed mode? Some games run without any FPS lock in windowed mode, so it'll keep your GPU at nearly max load the entire time. Don't recall which one, but a game used to do this to me.

I play all my games at full screen max settings , problem with the game that crushes is that when is try to load into game it goes blue screen and immediately restart , shows no error window or anything , and yea i can run stress test with no problem

Edited by lolita1023

I play all my games at full screen max settings , problem with the game that crushes is that when is try to load into game it goes blue screen and immediately restart , shows no error window or anything

OK, but if you go look into System Event viewer, it should give you some hints as to what is happening. Did you check that?