Unlocking The 64 ?

lorne

http://www.cpuid.com/clockgen.php

This program apparently unlocks the multiplier, and has a AGP/PCI lock for the Athlon 64's. Has anybody tried this with a 64 ? My decision whether or not to wait for the socket 939 chips to come out kinda hinges on this, so any help would be appreciated. :)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it doesn't unlock anything. tried it already. it does allow for adjustment of the FSB in windows just like gigabyte's ez tune software. it's nice to have around for those mobos that don't oc in the bios, but not really a must have software package.

unknown. I'd guess with the lower pricetag they will be locked. amd doesn't have as much fear of people oc'n a $700+ cpu, cuz most people are either scrared of the pricetag or scared to hurt something like that.

Some guy at another forum says he knows for a fact that they will be unlocked. I don't know how he could possibly know this, so i asked him how he knows for sure and if he can show me where he got his info. I am still waiting to hear from him.

The reason I am waiting for the socket 939 is because it will support dual channel. If i can't OC the heck out of it i at least want dual channel.

Why is there a warning bar under my Avatar ?

Edited by lorne

socket 939 has nothing to do with dual channel support. the FX is going socket 939 without registered ECC support, the regular athlon 64 will go on the same board without the dual channel memory controller. from what I'm hearing though, the socket 940 boards will take the socket 939 chips with standard and not need registered ECC memory.

Oh well, doesn't matter, I already found my next board and chip and should have it by the end of march :)

The 939 Winchester is coming out in the second quarter of this year. The current Athlon chip does not support dual channel. However, the next chip based on the 90nm process code name "winchester" will!! The winchester is base on the socket 939. Rendering the current chip helpless when the new stuff comes out that does support dual channel.

Check out the road map :)http://www.neoseeker.com/news/story/2994