New here

whitefiretiger

Hey I'm new here.

I'm a broke computer nut so all my computers are outdated but I have a habit of upgrading them for cheap to better specs.

Examples:

My laptop started it's life with vista basic, 1Gb ram (ddr2-6400), celeron 900 (2.2Ghz), 160Gb HDD, realtek wireless G/B (2 antennas)

It is now Win 8.1, 3Gb ram (ddr2-6400), core 2 duo (2.1Ghz), 500Gb HDD, Intel wireless N/G/B (3 antennas)

Desktop started as a Dell (I know it still technically is) Vostro mid tower, 300W psu, DG33M03 mobo, 2.33Ghz Core 2 duo, 1Gb ram (ddr2-6400) and windows XP.

Now in a Thermaltake V3 black edition case with Thermalkake TR2-430W, same mobo, Q6600 core 2 quad 2.4Ghz oc to 2.92Ghz, 5Gb ram (ddr2-6400) and windows 7 ultimate 64 bit. 4x120mm case fans (2 of them are 38mm thick Hi/low switch 108Cfm/48Cfm).

I have under $100 into my desktop including what I paid for the used Vostro.

The desktop is what leads me here as this is the first time I've needed help with cooling an OC computer. I've managed to get the temps down a bit (2

Edited by whitefiretiger

Welcome to OCC!

What stepping is the Q6600? Honestly I don't think your temps are really worrisome but I'd say you'd want a better cooler to go further, a Q6700 wouldn't be worth the extra money.

Thanks.

CPU-Z says Stepping: B Revision: G0

The fun part is with this board the bios doesn't have and OC options (found where people unlocked it but didn't work) so I did the classic block BSEL2 pad to force it to 333 from 266 (mobo can only take 1333 fsb max)

I know the Q6700 wouldn't give much more but if I find one for dirt cheap I'll get it.

I'm hoping some day to afford to build a new rig again (last time I had chance to do so it was in the P4 era) but until then I am making the best of what I get my hands on.

I just don't like the temps being so high for how little I was doing (temp program, play music with vlc, Photoshop) I'm a bit afraid to boot up any of my games (like perfect world) because I know that will push it way harder. Heck it hit 63

Edited by whitefiretiger

Welcome to OCC, you should really try for a 120 mm cooler if you will be oc'ing, they make a big difference and run much more quiet than  a 80 or 92 mm cooler and are not much more expensive.

Thanks everybody.

I have what I hope is good news... Was talking to my neighbor earlier and he contacted his friend that built his pc for him to see if he had any old parts I could get cheap that would work with my mobo.

He is sending me a new AeroCool Xfire cooler that he bought a ways back and it ended up not fitting his build. He said it should get me a few degrees cooler and if I put a stronger fan on it it should be even better.

Waco I doubt I'd be getting a very powerful gpu and I most definitely can't afford a new psu.

I'm trying to get an idea what max specs gpu I could run without a psu upgrade (my psu has a 6pin and 4pin power connector not being used that I beleave would be for gpu.

My current gpu doesn't use any extra power input; only the pcie x16 v1 slot

I've been told my mobo is forward compatible with pcie x16 v2.

Edited by whitefiretiger

I wanted to point out I currently have the Dell square cpu cooler not the round Intel cooler. The round cooler is proven better than what I have.

Here's what I have but have a round 92mm fan.

d60a41c39da0341b2a447b5d809d0034.jpg

4628e0f4ab9131970ec9a5224c7913d9.jpg

I'm hoping this AeroCool Xfire I'm getting sent will be better.

3a44925f534b21c22cc1b40d8168e35f.jpg

I'd like to find an adapter ring and be able to use the clip cross bar to mount the new cooler.

Anybody know if I can get one of these by itself?

93c7194b01f28f5b83fc0ae418c9e17c.jpg

Edited by whitefiretiger

Welcome to OCC. Don't be down, your just a baller on a budget. Im still running my gtx 480's from 2010 dude, and the wife has the motherboard and proc from 2010 as well. guess what game I am about to play. command and conquer tiberium twilight. 2 decades old now. ROFL.

Have fun in the club.

Thanks.

I've managed to build a decent computer for very little money and overall I happy with it. Graphics and temp have been my only worries.

To be honest I find it fun to use old parts and see what I can do, my rig benchmarks almost the same as my neighbors (minus graphics score that is) and his is newer and cost 6X what I have into mine.

I still play Diablo 1&2 its fun.

Edited by whitefiretiger

• 1 month later...

Lol I still have my old discs for Diablo 1, 2 & the expansion for 2.

I've gotten a couple new (to me) parts for my desktop that I'll be switching to soon. Well I already am using the graphics card I got but havnt ripped my computer apart yet to swap the motherboards yet. Going to be nice to have real overclocking again.

And when I have a few extra $ im going to order a Xeon & 771 to 775 mod sticker

Edited by whitefiretiger