4K Monitor

Greetings.  I am very tempted by the Acer B326HK 32 inch 4K monitor.  I am currently running a factory overclocked GTX580 which my not be man enough for a 4K screen. Should I upgrade to a GTX980 for 4K or will I be OK with the 580 ?  I mainly use it for FSX.

Cheers.  Buster.

As a Samsung 4k monitor owner with a PNY gtx 980 to drive it, ditto to first two posts. Waiting to get the gtx 980 Ti when it comes out, barring a better performance/price point on the new AMD card to be released. 

Thanks chaps, you confirmed my suspicions. I have been out of the loop on this stuff for a while, whats the difference between a 980 and a 980ti ?  Would I be better off with a Titan X  ?  Cost is not a concern and AMD is not an option.

they are close in performance according to reviews on line..You can get two 980 ti's to one titan x :P

The way I see it is, 980 TI has the same performance as X and it is cheaper

Edited by Gremlin

If you are ok with just 30fps then the 980ti or tix will both do the job, the tix wins a little bit in some games but just barely and not really enough to justify the premium over the 980ti.

But to really use 4k and approach 60fps you need a dual card solution, and now a pair of 980s can be had for less than a tix.  Dual 980ti cards would be even better with the extra vram.  Although the 980's 4gb of ram is low for 4k, I hear dx12 may fix this soon.  

Sure you can fudge the settings to get better performance out of a game, but what's the point of 4k to only run at lower settings?

If I recall correctly FSX needs a rediculously fast CPU when running high quality settings at high resolution. A 980 Ti might be total overkill if his CPU isn't relatively recent and high clocked...

Looks like up to 75% of the frame rate is produced by the CPU,.. I'm only guessing that FSX is formatted in 16X10 resolution textures with 1920X1200 being the sweet spot resolution,..  you can increase maximum texture limits in the files to 4K,.. might have some performance issues running 4K with a quad core processor.

But would be worth trying it with the 980 Ti  :P   

Edited by Braegnok