My expeirnce with the 840 evo

alentor

As some of you may already know the 840 EVO has issues with accessing files that haven't been used recently. Basically the longer the file goes without being accessed the slower it

Edited by alentor

Overpriced drives are overpriced :rolleyes:, the 840 EVOs should have been a wake up call that people shouldn't blindly buy a brand and believe that they won't fail on you. At least the 850 EVOs are finally priced right, still don't see a reason for paying more for the Pro line, how many people will actually keep the drive for 10 years I wonder, and speed is no argument because there's M.2 SSDs for that since value is clearly not the target ...Any modern SSD will perform unnoticeably different from one another, benchmark numbers and bar graphs aside. Real usage is what matters to me and I'll buy from any brand that's the best value for the capacity I'm looking for. Samsung's haven't been value oriented for quite a while though I'm glad they've finally priced their 850 EVOs appropriately, then again people will buy Samsung drives just because it has their name on it even if their old ones (like the 840 EVO) failed them... all while people demonize OCZ because they can't flash firmware (5+ year old and 3+ year old OCZ drives running here with no problems), especially considering OCZ is owned by Toshiba now and changed substantially.

Overpriced drives are overpriced :rolleyes:, the 840 EVOs should have been a wake up call that people shouldn't blindly buy a brand and believe that they won't fail on you. At least the 850 EVOs are finally priced right, still don't see a reason for paying more for the Pro line, how many people will actually keep the drive for 10 years I wonder, and speed is no argument because there's M.2 SSDs for that since value is clearly not the target ...Any modern SSD will perform unnoticeably different from one another, benchmark numbers and bar graphs aside. Real usage is what matters to me and I'll buy from any brand that's the best value for the capacity I'm looking for. Samsung's haven't been value oriented for quite a while though I'm glad they've finally priced their 850 EVOs appropriately, then again people will buy Samsung drives just because it has their name on it even if their old ones (like the 840 EVO) failed them... all while people demonize OCZ because they can't flash firmware (5+ year old and 3+ year old OCZ drives running here with no problems), especially considering OCZ is owned by Toshiba now and changed substantially.

At first i wanted to get SandDisk extreme, but 850 PRO was always ahead in benchmarks and it was 1$ USD cheaper, so it appeared to be a much better investment as for why PRO and not EVO, is cause of the nanad TYPE (MLC).

At first i wanted to get SandDisk extreme, but 850 PRO was always ahead in benchmarks and it was 1$ USD cheaper, so it appeared to be a much better investment as for why PRO and not EVO, is cause of the nanad TYPE (MLC).

Why not go PCI-E this time around?

Why not go PCI-E this time around?

Uhhmm, their price..

Here's mine. I had run my update when the original fix was out, so what you see now is what it is currently. I can't seem to find my before and after screenshots for my previous firmware update.

Before latest firmware update:

vF0aGT.jpg

After latest firmware update:

vNHqxY.jpg