two boards dead in 2 systems in 1 week

So this story begins with sadness followed by some decent diagnosis. Lol. This is more of a rant then anything else.

Anyhow. Topic reads how it is. I have literally lost 2 motherboards in 4 days due to different failures. First I'll start with my system.

I was gaming around on my system with the 3930k and dx79si when I noticed things got weird. So I left the game, checked temps and voltages and all was fine. Turned on prime95 and had immediate failure. So I turned off the overclock and tested again. Still acting strange but stable. After a while. Started looking at my temps and voltages an noticed the temp on the farm was a little high and the voltage was drooping. So I turned on a benchmark to watch the voltage fall more with an instant crash. Took it down and the atx 12v connector is burnt. Contacted Intel the next day and they are suppose to rma the board. That's one system. Thank God for a three year warranty. But the power supply is no longer trusted at 5 years old when that happen happened so it's going to garbage.

And then tonight.....

I was us in my wife's computer that I had just built a month ago out of older parts. I noticed it was also acting strange and not seeing all the memory. This is a I7 920 on an msi x58 platinum. I go and grab different memory and no dice. Inspected the board and took the processor out when low and behold one of the cpu pins was corroded. Just my luck. Pin broken the second I looked at it crosseyed. Cleaned off the cpu and its corrosion, put it in the old Asus p6t7 and everything was then just fine. Lucky I guess.

I don't know what's going on here but it's just been a string of bad things this week and the computers, both in the household, take a carp within days of one another. Here to this week ending on a good note and better luck in the future.

Before I read it I thought it was an issue of grounding, but wow, that is some bad luck in general. Guess it was just that time for everything to screw off at once and cram as much failures into one week as possible.

Before I read it I thought it was an issue of grounding, but wow, that is some bad luck in general. Guess it was just that time for everything to screw off at once and cram as much failures into one week as possible.

I definitely thought the same thing when I read the title of the thread. I figured the standoffs were causing some sort of problem. But, the hardware just failed, I guess. It's amazing how technology can be at times, but in the end, it still is quite reliable when compared to technology released five, ten years ago.

The lesson here? It's not always grounding, lol.  :teehee:

I couldn't tell you why the wifes comp did that. Its been running fine for over a month then that happened. Im sure the pin was a little loose so it created a hot spot and moisture developed from there. But it still begs the question of how. So for the time being i stuffed my asus p6t7 ws in it. It was a squeeze but its in the antec 900. Pretty sure they never intended that to fit in there. Ill post a photo when i get home. Its comical.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally Got my system the way I wanted it. Now it sits in a Thermaltake X9 and is under water again. Couldn't bare the stock clocks, everything just too damn slow. So finally after some tweaking and coaxing I have everything back up to 4.50Ghz where it was before all the issues. Total parts that were lost in the board malfunction were an intel Dx79si Motherboard and a Coolermaster silent pro gold 1200. They have both been replaced with an Msi X79a-Gd45 Plug and a EVGA 1000g power supply. Finally feeling good about it now. Now to upgrade the Watercooling. These 480's are too blasted loud.

4.50 stable.PNG

• 2 weeks later...