SSD Microsoft Windows 8 Installation Troubleshoot

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lakewolf

Lakewolf

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 04:36 PM

Hi, I just bought a fresh cheap 120GB SSD which I already installed Windows in it, when suddenly had the urge to buy a really affordable 250GB SSD (need the extra storage for Uni) which I have paid and received.  Is there steps that I could format the 120GB SSD and replace and install Windows in the 250GB SSD in a safer easier way? 

Its my first time building PC, Thanks!

#2 Waco

Waco

Lab Rat 2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16508 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 04:58 PM

It's pretty simple to copy from a smaller partition to a larger one. Something simple like "dd" in Linux from the smaller drive to the larger drive will work. Then, you just expand the partition on the larger drive once you have it booted up into Windows.

Just don't run the copy the wrong way. You only do it once, but it's a very painful lesson that will stick around forever. :lol:

Tolerance is a sign of weakness.

#3 SpikeSoprano

SpikeSoprano

Total Nerd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2218 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:54 AM

Don't agree Waco, the op says it's his first time building a pc so using Linux could lead to disaster very easily. I would advise using Macrium Reflect Free, simple to use and free to download.

CPU>I7 2600K  -MB>GIGABYTE  Z68X-UD3H-B3-MEM>16 GB KINGSTON 1600 MHZ-COOLER> HYPER 212 EVO
VIDEO>NVIDIA GTX-1070-SSD>VERTEX 3 120 GB-HD>WD 2TB- G500 MOUSE
CASE>ROSEWILL CHALLENGER W/4 120MM FANS-PSU> 750WATT-MONITOR>24 INCH BENQ

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SSD, Microsoft, Windows 8, Installation, Troubleshoot