psu needed for 290 cf

i picked up a second 290 for $180 manufactured by asus

i would have rather had gone with a msi to match my other one but the price was perfect and its still red and black  :wub:

now i just need a psu two power them and maybe a third if the price is right 

how much power is needed for 2/3 r9 290's paired with a 4690k at 4.6ghz 

NIce price! Where'd you score such a deal?

I'd take a guess that the scaling from two to three 290s will not be very good. What resolution are you running?

As far as PSU I'd get this one if it were me: www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207011&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

I think that'd get it done well for the best value I've seen for a 850W after rebate, I think even a 750W'd get you by but why not have the extra headroom. I did a calculator on a 2 ways 290CF system with your specs and it said 632W

NIce price! Where'd you score such a deal?

I'd take a guess that the scaling from two to three 290s will not be very good. What resolution are you running?

As far as PSU I'd get this one if it were me: www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207011&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

I think that'd get it done well for the best value I've seen for a 850W after rebate, I think even a 750W'd get you by but why not have the extra headroom. I did a calculator on a 2 ways 290CF system with your specs and it said 632W

craigslist

4k and from what i have read the scaling is pretty good about 14% faster than a titan x 

i could be wrong on this i was going by 4k benchmarks from legitreview 

how about a gold certified 750w 

how about this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139117

Edited by jdm_freek

There are a few PSU calculators out there to figure this and they give some fairly accurate reads.

Using your sig info a bit of guess work for dual 290 an 850 should handle the load well. If you plan to go to three then I would get a 1K PSU.

Now in fairness these numbers are a bit of overkill and can be backed down and still be viable, but these are good, safe suggestions.

As for brand I personally like Seasonic as you get what you think your getting. Most brands just rebrand, if I have a choice I stay for a direct manufacturer that I know. Rebranding is okay if the company uses a set provider but most PSU resellers switch the OEM regularly even within the same product sku.

I'd never consider a PSU without one strong single 12V rail, usually having one is the first indicator of quality.

This is wrong, quality is not shown by a single rail, especially since many so called multi-rail are single rail. There are reasons for multi-rail but in truth for computer use a single rail is a better choice. However it does no represent better quality.
Edited by VaporX
  • Like 1

I'd never consider a PSU without one strong single 12V rail, usually having one is the first indicator of quality.

This is wrong, quality is not shown by a single rail, especially since many so called multi-rail are single rail. There are reasons for multi-rail but in truth for computer use a single rail is a better choice. However it does no represent better quality.

I'm not saying that having a single 12V rail automatically equals quality, but I can't recall any of the best/better units having multi-rail for what it's worth. It's just usually an indicator of where the unit falls into a pack. That's all I was saying, I know I'll never buy a multi rail unit.