Seagate 1.5 TB is either dead or dying!

N.E.A

What's the cheapest 2TB go for in contrast?

Its WD green for 630 EGP !!

I'd go with the Green over a Red in a desktop.

Is there a specific reason? 

I really do not care which one I buy as long as it can survive the fact that I keep my PC turned on 24/7 and it can stay up for more than 20 days. 

As a matter of fact, I had a widget to calculate how many hours the PC has been on and one the longest period was 24 days and 19 hours or something like that. 

I really do not care which one I buy as long as it can survive the fact that I keep my PC turned on 24/7 and it can stay up for more than 20 days. 

As a matter of fact, I had a widget to calculate how many hours the PC has been on and one the longest period was 24 days and 19 hours or something like that. 

Is there a specific reason? 

It's cheaper and would work just as well...I still don't understand the hype of the Red drives...

The reds are meant for raid configs and have auto error correction firmware built in to keep drives from dropping from the raid.

I don't think there is any of that functionality if you aren't raiding them though.

I might have missed it, are you raiding these drives?

The reds are meant for raid configs and have auto error correction firmware built in to keep drives from dropping from the raid.

I don't think there is any of that functionality if you aren't raiding them though.

I might have missed it, are you raiding these drives?

It's actually the opposite, they'll give up and return an error within 7 seconds where desktop drives will keep trying for MUCH longer.

I'm terrible at reading or at least understanding I guess. In that case it sounds like the green drives would be better for home use.

I'm like a bad advice super hero lately.

So my thoughts -

For a basic "safe" setup (PLEASE BACKUP STUFF SOMEWHERE NOT IN YOUR COMPUTER) for easy recovery, Windows mirroring is pretty awesome. Grab a pair of the cheapest drives you can find in a size you need and you're pretty safe. Unsafe reboots (AKA BSOD) will cause a re-sync of the data, and that's about the only place you can get into trouble (because as far as I can tell, Windows picks a "good" drive randomly and trusts it for the sync operation).

My NAS setup for a long time was a bunch of drives connected via eSATA and running a few mirrors. It's easy in that if a drive dies completely, you can still access all of your data and rebuilds when you replace the dead drive are super fast (< 24 hours generally).

I've been debating setting up a RAID 1 with my two 2TB drives that just sit on my desktop (relatively similar model Seagate Green/LP, not that that matters) but I'm too lazy and keep justifying it by not wanting to kill them sooner since they're outta warranty. I just use my 1.5TB drive for backups primarily.

For software RAID similar drives doesn't matter as much. Mine were a total mix. :lol:

I figured as such, but it just so happens that's one is an LP Barracuda and the other is a Green Barracuda which are pretty much the same thing from two different generations. Thought it was funny is all...

Maybe one day I'll do it...then again the green nut in me doesn't want some drive spinning if I don't have to :rolleyes: