Question about Backup

Gremlin

I am hoping this is the right place for this. I have a dentist who has 4 offices spread out.

Each office 4 servers running windows server 2008. Each of the four servers have different folders. there are approximately 330gb of data. He wants to have 4 2 tb external drives that backs up the data which is fine.

But here is the catch he wants to swap the drives between the offices and still have the backup. I know you can do this manually by copying the files.. Is there any program that does it automatically? 

Have any ideas? 

Second someone posted like a question about a year ago or so about purchasing their cloud storage option? Is that a good seal still? 

Than you for any help.

So he is running separate servers for each office, instead of having a central server that is utilized for all locations? 

Ideally it would be easier for him to have 1 server, and have that hosted at a single location and through a VPN link connect all locations.

I have had clients in the past with multiple small offices, some healthcare related. What we would often do is use a small appliance like a Cisco ASA5500 to establish a VPN link to the primary location.  

Is this data medical records/data? If it is medical data, you have to be careful, there is federal laws protecting such data (HIPAA), so things like retention of records, and record security are a must. He should not be storing this on a hard drive he carries around with him. 

I would NOT use any public cloud storage solution with anything related to health data. 

I personally would focus on a central server, setting up a connected network between all locations, and have a raid based backup solution on that primary server. You can always use the other 3 servers as failover too, that way you are utilizing the hardware that has already been purchased. 

Edited by greengiant912

Basically appointments for his customers, and dental xray images..

I tried my best to request him to get a single hard drive for each and let the software backup nightly during off hours during a schedule but he wants it to move the drives between offices..

Each offices are not connected to each other and unfortunately I have no experience with cisco..

It seems to me that your client hasn't done a very good job of defining his SBN requirements and why he feels it is necessary to move drives from one office to another.  GG offers one of the preferred solutions for creating and maintaining a SBN.

One location should serve as the home base that houses the primary server and where all data backups / redundancy occurs.  The satellite offices are served through the home base via a VPN tunnel.  The Cisco ASA5505 is a good VPN/Firewall/SSL solution that won't break the bank.  I've seen them as cheap as $320.00.

Even though you don't have any experience with Cisco, the integrated CASDM makes setup and deployment fairly straight forward and Cisco has a pretty robust and active online support system and user forums.

It seems to me that your client hasn't done a very good job of defining his SBN requirements and why he feels it is necessary to move drives from one office to another.  GG offers one of the preferred solutions for creating and maintaining a SBN.

Noob question.. What is GG :P

I am no fan of him cycling the drives from one location to the other. Anyone heard of Paragon? 

Noob question.. What is GG :P

I am no fan of him cycling the drives from one location to the other. Anyone heard of Paragon? 

Think he was referring to my comments. GG= Greengiant.

Edited by greengiant912

• 5 weeks later...

That doctor really needs to scrub the idea of swapping drives between sites. He needs to setup each site with its own local backup. Get a CrashPlan, or iDrive account on each server backing up the data online (and be done). Those cloud backup solutions are HIPAA compliant.

Edited by uneedav8