390x/gtx 980ti or r9 290 crossfire

Wish we had a thread for worst PC ports or user fixes for bad PC ports,.. seems lots of games run vary poorly even years after initial release.

I would like to nominate Dead Space Franchise for Worst PC port,..   :lol:

Inquisition also did not handle multiple cards properly, but it supposedly should now. Haven't heard for sure, but one of the recent patches included it in there.

Either way, using it or most other PC ports is a bad idea because like Cap said, they're bad PC ports. There are always good PC ports, not as many as there should be, and plenty of good PC games built directly for the PC. Again, not as many as there were a dozen years ago, but still, those are the PC games you should be worried about. Not the ports, and especially not the bad ports.

The thing is, "bad pc ports" are going to happen, more often than not.

When was the last time PC was pushed in terms of visuals with an exclusive, Crysis 1?

Those days are over, if there IS a good PC port, it is probably not visually demanding compared to the majority of games released.

Hence me recommending him a card with 6GB or more (i would assume the 390X has 6GB).

Well, if bad PC ports are going to be the norm for PC gaming, then just settle on a 30Hz 4K monitor and a single R9 290, because the game, and the FPS and graphics will be shit, anyway.

Inquisition also did not handle multiple cards properly, but it supposedly should now. Haven't heard for sure, but one of the recent patches included it in there.

Either way, using it or most other PC ports is a bad idea because like Cap said, they're bad PC ports. There are always good PC ports, not as many as there should be, and plenty of good PC games built directly for the PC. Again, not as many as there were a dozen years ago, but still, those are the PC games you should be worried about. Not the ports, and especially not the bad ports.

I can confirm that at least SLI appears to work properly now. :)

Wish we had a thread for worst PC ports or user fixes for bad PC ports,.. seems lots of games run vary poorly even years after initial release.

I would like to nominate Dead Space Franchise for Worst PC port,..   :lol:

Not the worst but certainly a sizeable amount of effort to rectify the Vsync/aiming issue

any ideas on where one could pick up a 290 cheap

Overclock.net and Hardforum. Just make sure to check their Heatware or any other feedback, and get detailed information and screenshots before purchasing if they're not provided in their FS thread. 99% of my transactions have been positive, but that 1% bad transaction pisses me off (especially when I'm the one getting the negative feedback for it).

• Like 1

Sorry to be a pita, but please explain "4k monitor" and such. I suppose Vram is Ram onboard the GPU card. But why doesn't Ram in the motherboard do enough of a job?

Please provide a bit of info for me.

Somebody asked about discrete cards:

GTX 780, 970, Titan                                        R9 290, 290X

GTX 780 Ti, 980, Titan Black

GTX 690                                                           HD 7990

GTX Titan Z                                                      R9 295X2

(Courtesy of THW)

Edited by Cespenar

System RAM, what the motherboard has, and video RAM, what the video card uses, is not shared, at least right now. The next NVIDIA cards will have unified memory that will let the CPU use the GPU's memory and vice versa. AMD has something similar in the works, but no word when exactly it will appear.

Running a video card with high enough VRAM will give better performance at larger resolutions, like 4K (3840x2160). At those resolutions, textures can be extensive and performance can suffer if memory starts getting low. Not enough memory and graphics horsepower means not a good experience. Framerates in the 30s will be doable, but you need a strong card to reach 60FPS.