Sign in to follow this  
jdm_freek

sound blaster E

so my wife surprised me with the E5 @ $189 this thing is amazing 

my previous amp was the fiio E12 mont blanc which is no slouch but the E5 is amazing 

right now just a psir of skullcandy navigators i am looking for a pair of nice headphones 

any suggestions around $200

It doesn't need an amp but the Sennheiser Amperior is my current favorite pair of cans. I picked up a refurbished pair (apple store return) for $140 and they look brand spankin new.

Super forward sound, treble is intense and the bass is stellar. The midrange is good, if not excellent but the highs and lows are just sick. Every piece on them is easily replaceable too if you manage to break them but I don't see how you would be able to.

http://www.vminnovations.com/Product_46888/Sennheiser-HD-25-Amperior-DJ-Pro-Monitoring-Headphones-Blue-Refurbished-.html

The only issue is they have no need at all for an amplifier, they are 16ohm headphones and ridiculously sensitive too, you could easily do some damage to yourself with the volume knob. An iPhone will drive them to painful levels to be quite honest.

I got an AKG K7XX First Edition though Massdrop for $199. Best headphones I've ever had, and I've had 20+ headphones (including the Beyer Dynamic DT 990 Premium 600 OHM). DAC = Creative Sound Blaster Titanium HD with upgraded op-amps (LME49720NA), and an ASUS Xonar Essence STX also with the same upgraded op-amps. Amp = JDS Labs DIY Observer 2.

I've been really tempted to try out the E5 and even the X7. You get up to $40 off right now (on the official website, they display the promo code) if you buy them direct from Creative Labs right now.

The soon-to-be-released AKG K553 (similar to the K7XX but with noise isolation and bassy goodness in a closed-back design, instead of an open-back design of the K7XX). It won't be a reference headphone like the K7XX, but for $139.99, it seems like a decent deal.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k553-pro-studio-headphone?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Massdrop%20-%20Master%20-%20Audiophile&utm_campaign=AKG%20K553&mode=guest_open

Edited by El_Capitan
  • Like 1

I am not really sold on USB DACs.

this thing is also portable with built in power? that is pretty cool.