Booting problem from 2014 custom build

Arctika

Hey Everyone,

I build a PC in January 2014, and it worked great, at least for a while. I moved house in November last year and since then its been having problems booting. When I turn it on, the PSU spins up, all my fan LEDs come on and all my case fans spin, but the motherboard doesn't POST. After about 20 seconds, it shuts down, and about 10 seconds after that, it restarts, with no interference from me. This happens anywhere between once and 6 times, then it POSTs and works normally. This only happens the first time I turn the machine on each day, subsequent restarts/re-boots all work first time. I have completely re-assembled the machine twice, cleaning it each time, to no avail. I've also tried starting it with no USBs connected, but no change. 

Any ideas you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

My system specs:

Intel I7 4930k

MSI X79A-GD65 (8D)

Asus GTX 780 DC2 OC

Corsair Vengeance 2133MHz 16G

Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Samsung 840 Evo 120GB

Corsair AX760i PSU

Thermaltake Chaser A41

Edited by Arctika

Hmm. Other than reseating everything, it could just be a memory issue or mother board related. Im gonna go with the motherboard doesnt like booting the memory. This could be simple as a bad stick, not 100% seated or it just doesn't like the XMP settings.

It's just a guess and you can easily find out by resesting all the sticks and running memtest86. Other than That it could be any number of random things.

The reason why I'm leaning towards memory is because I've own a few motherboards over the years that did the exact same thing. My old DFI AMD 939 simply just did not like the memory and other sticks would work first time it started up. Another rig had a bad stick and the motherboard would wait, than post, but only showed the good ram, the dimm with the bad stick turned off. That was an Asus 990FX motherboard.

However my current X79 Asus motherboard did the same thing, but it ended up being the LSI raid card made it boot into legacy mode. After it booted, than froze, it than automatically rebooted in legacy bios and off it goes.

Like I said it's an easy test to find out if it's the memory causing the problems. It seems like you did everything else. Not you just have to make sure both sticks fully work. Other than that, it could be a UFI bios conflict...

These are only guesses

IVB-E is very finicky when it comes to memory. Set everything to default with the memory running at 1600 or even 1333Mhz. Flash to the latest BIOS. Then set the XMP setting for the memory and see if it posts. If it does then you are in luck but may still need to do some tweaking to get fully stable. The RIVBE I have was finicky beyond belief with memory with the first few BIOS' before ASUS nailed it down and now its my full time gaming system running 32GB of  memory at 2133Mhz.

Can you take a screen shot of the memory settings you are running by hitting the F12 key and saving the image to a flash drive?  

Thanks for the reposnses guys.

I ran memtest86, but miscalculated how long it would take so had to stop stop about half way, but no errors up till then. Ill have enough time tomorrow to run it fully, and ill see what it says. Ccokeman, sorry but i only understood about half of what you suggested to do :D. Could you explain how to set memory Mhz? Im also not sure how to change the XMP settings. Also, which memory settings page are you refering to? Sorry to be such a noob, this is my first solo build, and also my first time looking at overclocking.

Thanks again for your advice.

If you can run memtest86 v5, it will go waaay faster than v4.

As for what ccoke is saying, instead of having your memory on XMP profile 2133mhz, disable it and set your memory to DDR3 1600 or 1333.  Save changes and than flash the bios to the newest version. Afterwords you can try XMP profile.

I ran Memtest86 v6, and attached two pictures of it (sorry for the poor quality). I've never used it before, so not too sure what to make of it, but I like the 0 errors part. After the test I went into the BIOS to check the XMP settings, they were disabled and the ram was clocked at 1000MHz. I enabled XMP at it clocked up to 2133MHz @1.5V which is what I thought it was running at the whole time. I also flashed the BIOS to the newest version.

post-139834-0-63886900-1424262719_thumb.jpg

post-139834-0-02119000-1424262736_thumb.jpg

zero erros means your memory is good! but the fact it was running at 1000 tells me the motherboard didn't like the higher settings and booted rebooted until it felt it was safe. That might be why it took so long to run the memory test. Almost 4 hours is really long, thats around what it takes to do my 64gb kit on V4. Most likely ccoke was on the right track and its a motherboard bios issue.

If you flashed to the newest bios maybe the problem is fixed now. but keep an eye on it and see if it reboots to the safey settings.

Hi again guys,

First off, I want to thank everyone who has helped so far, I really appreciate you offering me advice.

I flashed to the newest BIOS, and for two days it POSTed first time. Then a few days ago it started struggling again. I checked the BIOS settings and it was exactly as I set it earlier, it hadn't changed to safety settings. Anecdotally, I noticed that on cold mornings it takes more tries to boot than on warm ones. Could this be related? The house I moved to recently is much colder than the apartment I was in, and that's when the problem started.