Waco

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10818354_10101907787754968_5235543389070

First drive went GREAT! The fuel map is good up to 6 PSI (which is roughly 2.7 PSI over ambient here) but damn...it's never hauled ass like this. No leaks, no smoke (aside from my overrun richness), and no drama.

The blow off valve (a Turbosmart piece) does that incredibly awesome "chu chu chu" sound when letting off at partial throttle. It makes me grin like an idiot. :D

I wish the videos had not been corrupt. I followed him in the focus in case of a breakdown...but couldn't wipe that stupid grin off his face the entire time. I honestly could see it in his rear-view mirror.

Focus is still faster...for now. 

• 2 weeks later...

Still working on the tune...but holy hell, it's awesome. I have a set of poly diff mounts to go in tomorrow. The shifter moves totally out of place under throttle and I keep miss-shifting...evidenced by video #2 below. :lol:

The overboost protection keeps kicking in since I'm still working on the controls for the boost solenoid (and the protection is probably set a bit too conservatively) but it's getting better slowly as I tweak the closed-loop settings that control the solenoid.

Without further adieu, here's Amanda failing at camera work and me failing at shifting. :D

Poly diff mounts are in! Let's see if I can fail less at shifting now. :lol:

I prefer the "vvVROOOOOMMMmmm... DAMNIT .... vroooom" from the second video.

+1, this is your next modification. Like the quacking BOV, you need a 'damnit' BOV

:lol: The diff mounts are much better - the shifter barely moves now. :) The downside? Deceleration is NOISY to say the least when engine braking. Nothing terribly annoying, but it does hum at over 3k RPM when slowing down.

The awesome part? I can hear the gears in the transmission under load now. WHY DOES CAR WHINE? BECAUSE RACECAR! :lol:

EDIT: The last road there is the hill road up to Los Alamos, NM. The scenery everywhere here is beautiful like that. :)

• 5 weeks later...

Any updates?

You getting this thing dyno tuned, or just tweaking the tune yourself?

Still tuning day to day. Started body work to get it a bit cleaner as well. It's at the boring point now where I'm fine tuning the tune even though it's an absolute blast to drive. :D

Right-clicked the red  car in the original post image to "Search Google" for it... Came back with:

W020060722408312889852.jpg

Thanks, Google.. Close enough i guess...

It's only that in my mind. :lol: The Miata is faster up here at altitude.