Corsair HX750 - Power draw when OFF

Hey Guys,

I have had my HX750 PSU for about 3-4 years now. First in my Second rig in sig and now in my main rig.

It hasnt really missed a beat in my ownership.

However I have noticed something odd and wanted an opinion.

I recently bought a smart power strip. The kind with a "master" socket and then some slave sockets. The idea being you plug the peripherals into the slave sockets and the PC into the master. When the PC is shut down, the rest of the sockets switch off.

Well the power strip dosent work with my HX750. As soon as its connected to the Master socket, the slave sockets are on. Even with the PC off.

I checked what the trigger requirements are on the power strip. 

One a power load of over 30W is detected, the slave sockets are switched on. When the power draw drops below 10W, the slave sockets are switched off.

I assumed my unit was faulty. So I tested it with the other PCs in my Sig, with all of them it works as advertised. 

Next I figured my Z97 board must be at fault drawing too much power even in an "off" state. To test this theory I disconnected everything from the PSU, so nothing was connected at all. Then plugged it into the Master socket. Same deal. Slave sockets came on straight away despite the PSU being off.

This leads me to think this PSU is drawing more than at minimum 10W while nothing is on. This seems incredibly high to me.

To verify, I have ordered a plug in power meter and will test.

In the meantime I also possed the question to Corsair in a support ticket.

Wondering if anybody has a HX750 too and maybe has already tested it with a power draw meter.

In any reviews I find the "off" power draw is obviously never stated. Just Load/Idle.

Appreciate comments.

Cheers

30 watts is far too high! Typically the standby load is on the order of a watt or two...

QFT.

I personally cannot help you with this, but I too have "smart" power strips that monitor one socket and turn off the rest once it detects that the main device is off. Love them to death, really, as they work as a surge protector and help me save money with virtually no effort after initial setup. I plan on outfitting my home with them in a few years (we have three now, I believe), provided nothing else worthwhile comes on to the market at a reasonable price that can do the same thing in a smaller package.

Definitely interested in hearing what the issue is though. Kill-A-Watt is your best friend here, and since you already ordered a device like this (same thing maybe?) then we will soon see why it seems that it's pulling so much power.

Thanks Guys,

Figured this wasnt right.

Will see what the actual draw is once I get the watt meter.

Also interested to see what Corsair says.

Paul,

This happenes with the PSU not connected to anything. So unfortunately its not related to USB/Motherboard issues.

Cheers

I tried a couple of power supplies just out of interest with my Maplin Kill-A-Watt equivalent and got zero watts on both?

I'd of expected something but I'm not convinced these plug in meters work at such low power levels?

hmm, looks like this was a red herring...

Just got my Watt meter, and the HX750 draws about 3-4W when off.

This is actually a little less than the PC P&c 610W. This draws about 4-5W when off.

Strange thing is, the PC P&C works fine with the smart strip. The HX750 does not.

Guess the HX750 is doing something to trigger the power strip to switch on?

Not sure where to go from here? Return the smart strip? Buy a different PSU?

Cheers