Microsoft to give away Windows 10 as free upgrade

kyfire

Got to give Microsoft credit they are persistent,.. since running Windows 10 Preview on my rig I've done a clean install of Windows 7 Pro and clicked "No Thank You" to Windows 10 upgrade,.. then I uninstalled the W10 app.

Also I disabled automatic updates and set Windows updates "to check for updates but let me choose weather to download and install them"

And without permission my system automatically downloads and tries to install Windows 10 Pro,.. which is a 5.59GB file on my boot drive every damn day.

Edit : Issue solved,.. I wiped & reloaded Windows 7 and used a brand new e-mail account for set-up,.. my old e-mail account was triggering priority auto-upgrade to Windows 10,.. due to joining Insiders Club & running Windows 10 Preview with that e-mail account.  :fp:

Edited by Braegnok

has anybody tried installing win7 on two ssd's with the same key and only upgrading one to win10? im wondering if my win7 will still work.

Your key is carried with the upgrade. In all likelihood your Windows 7 install will become deactivated.

I backed up the computer that I just upgraded Windows 10 on, in case I want to revert back (or dual-boot). Had to install custom drivers for my Creative Titanium HD... which didn't work. I guess I'm going for Plan B until they official release drivers for it in September 2015.

Edited by El_Capitan

So last night on my girlfriends computer I decided to do the upgrade to windows 10.  First off it was a major pain in the arse! Upon trying to update it normally I got to 32% overall and 6% into devices and drivers before being told it found an error and it reverted me back to windows 7.  Upon looking into the error (can't remember exact code) found no one had a clear answer...many said disable avg...uninstall video drivers among many other things.  For me to make sure nothing interfered I backed up her files and did a complete wipe and fresh install of windows 7.  Spent about 2 hours doing all the updates for windows 7 so I could get back to the windows 10 update.  Upon getting there I downloaded windows 10 using the media creation tool found here The 2nd time around everything went as planned. The only issues after installing windows 10 was it didn't activate correctly and actually told me that the key was blocked. After a few restarts and attempts it finally activated properly so if you run into this give it time. As far as my thoughts on the new OS I like it...its quick and snappy for now.  The reason why I say for now is typically when I install an OS for the first month or so I find it quick. After a couple of months they seem to bog down and slow down.  I am still hesitating on upgrading my system until I see how windows 10 is after a couple of months

Got to give Microsoft credit they are persistent,.. since running Windows 10 Preview on my rig I've done a clean install of Windows 7 Pro and clicked "No Thank You" to Windows 10 upgrade,.. then I uninstalled the W10 app.

Also I disabled automatic updates and set Windows updates "to check for updates but let me choose weather to download and install them"

And without permission my system automatically downloads and tries to install Windows 10 Pro,.. which is a 5.59GB file on my boot drive every damn day.

Edit : Issue solved,.. I wiped & reloaded Windows 7 and used a brand new e-mail account for set-up,.. my old e-mail account was triggering priority auto-upgrade to Windows 10,.. due to joining Insiders Club & running Windows 10 Preview with that e-mail account.   :fp:

Why are you using the microsoft account,  you can choose to use a local account

So I have given up on the built-in Windows system imaging service for 10. It just...doesn't work right for me. It probably stems from a long-running issue I had where it wouldn't do incremental backups (while Amanda's computer would) but whatever it was, it broke totally in 10.

Macrium Reflect free, on the other hand, is awesome. :)

If you used express install I highly advise spending some time going through Windows 10 settings menu's and disabling at least 35+ "optimizations" that are enabled by default,.. Webcam and Microphone Assess, Apps access to your personal information, Location data, Biometrics and Handwriting data, Advertisement and Tracking Code, Telemetry Services, Sync Data with other devices,.. Microsoft enabling privacy features related to Wi-Fi, E-Mail, personal data usage, by default without the knowledge of users is probably not at all a great idea.

Features like Windows Update Delivery Optimization (WUDO) which uses your network bandwidth to share updates with other Windows 10 users across the internet,.. seems handling millions of simultaneous 3.5GB downloads is quite difficult for the company,.. so, in order to cope up with the issue, Microsoft has baked a feature into W10 a peer-to-peer network to deliver software updates faster to others, each person distributing a little bit of the files across multiple computers and helping everyone download updates quickly,.. using your internet bandwidth without hinting you about it is totally not cool. :nono:

Edited by Braegnok

Sorry BP,.. I must have missed your thread :blush:,.. I was checking performance options and privacy features and found it last night,.. guess WUDO is not supposed to use your bandwidth if your on a metered service like me,.. but I disabled it anyway. :lol:

Edited by Braegnok