Microsoft to give away Windows 10 as free upgrade

kyfire

They do for me. Do you have a key or way to disable the Windows key? If so, deactivate and activate the Windows key a couple of times, and then it will start to work. Basically, if you can hit the Windows key and the Start menu pops up again, you're good.

Or could need to do a restart of Explorer in order for it to start working properly.

Hmm does the ui sometimes feel a bit touchy? At least for the notification/taskbar when clicking on the wifi it doesn't seem to register all the time and when it does there's a noticeable delay. Not sure if upgrade from 8.1 was worth it, ui seems sluggier and more tablet based in some areas. At least scrolling in folders and stuff doesn't have smooth scroll crap like office 2016 :/ 

You're welcome, Gremlin. For me, I reactivated the Windows key, didn't do a thing, disabled and then reactivated again, and everything started working for it.

@Dan, nah, no sluggish feeling or anything for me. Nice and quick all around.

Confirmed that the windows CD key changes with the Win 10 upgrade.

Now I know I've seen it posted about doing clean install, so I'm going to give it a go on my desktop as it has the least amount of important files on the primary HDD to back up right now.

If it works out I'm going to do my Laptop as well because I can't stand having upgraded OS on my machines.

If one has Win 7 Pro as their OS, will the upgrade be Win 10 Home? DO they have Pro and Ultimate, etc?

If so, how can one get that without paying or is shelling out $ the only way?

If you have Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate, you'll get Windows 10 Pro. Likewise, Windows 8.1 Pro will get Windows 10 Pro. Any other edition of 7 or 8.1 will get 10 Home. Enterprise editions of either 7 or 8.1 are excluded from the free upgrade to Home or Pro, as they'll just go to 10 Enterprise.

@Dan, have you rebooted your computer? Not sure what you mean by touch vibe, unless you set your computer into tablet mode.