1200w -1600w PSU's pushing the limits of the electrical outlet?

I can build it! CrossFireX with 3 290x cards in an AMD 990 platform using an 9590 at 5Ghz. 16gb memory then the water cooling. On a 20 amp circuit of course.

Even that probably can't hold a 1600 watt load continuously except for stress testing. :lol:

F@H FTW!

My rig pulls ~1300 watts at full load due to the cooling setup, and in the past when the central air went down it would trip the living room breaker if the window AC was on :(.

I am house shopping though and planning on turning a spare bedroom into a computer LAN room with 20A wiring + receptacles and gigabit ethernet ports in the walls :).

Last time I kicked a breaker was i7 960 overclocked ans 2-4870x2 water cooled with a single stage that OCZ deal I bought, all on the same circuit kicked a 20 amp breaker after awhile of benching. There were also a couple folding rigs on the same circuit at full load

Edited by road-runner

• 6 years later...
On 12/20/2014 at 6:28 PM, Waco said:

A 1600 watt PSU doesn't pull 1600 watts (or 1600/(efficiency rating at full load)) unless you have a rig that actually demands 1600 watts.

S

The vast majority of 1600ss watt PSUs are 90+ Platinum which means even at the very worst, with you pulling 1600 watts in your rig, the PSU will only pull 1780 watts or so from the wall - just under 15 amps on a 120V circuit.

Nobody really has a rig that pulls that much though - even the most beastly rigs are under 1 KW. You are safe to pull 15 amps on a 15 amp circuit - if you're not, that means you're home isn't to code. Most 15 amp circuits can actually handle a lot more than that but the breaker on the circuit will go first.

For example:

My 4.7 GHz 2700K + GTX 780 SLI + 16 GB RAM + dual HDDs + SSD + cathodes + pump + 12 fans + dual temperature displays...all pull less than 800 watts from the wall at full load.

This was so very true in 2014 when you posted it.  Unfortunately, here eight years in your future we are beginning to see single graphic cards with over 600 watt draws in our future (next few months with the Nvidia 4000x series.  Thankfully, your post serves as a good cautionary tail since I was getting ready to buy two 1600W plus power supplies and will need to rewire based on what you wrote.  Thank you from the future...LOL/