What are your views on video game delays ?

Nyt

Video game delays  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What are your views on video game delays with regards to optimization?

• The extra development time results in games with better optimization.
    • The games are often still unoptimized even after long delays.
  2. 2. What are your views on video game delays with regards to gameplay?

• The extra gameplay features, which are worked on during delays, should be packaged into the base game.
    • The extra gameplay features, which are worked on during delays, should packaged into DLC.
  3. 3. Are games being delayed too often? For example, The Witcher 3 has been delayed twice.

• Yes.
    • No.
  4. 4. Are games being delayed for too long? For example, Driveclub was delayed for a year.

• Yes.
    • No.
  5. 5. Should developers rather set less optimistic release dates than have to announce delays?

• Yes.
    • No.

I am fine with delays as long as there is a good reason for it. Games coming out unplayable or full of bugs is BS.

To drive this point home I spend 2 HOURS trying to get Dragon Age: Inquisition to start up and run in fullscreen on my rig. The problem? Any refresh rate higher than 60 Hz breaks it.

The other problem (that still lingers)? SLI is busted. Flickering shadows, tesselated surfaces flickering, etc. Performance is outstanding even maxed out but dammit...it's ugly because of the busted SLI stuff. Fog is also broken, white fog when running SLI becomes totally opaque.

Things like this are not what I expect from a AAA title that cost me an arm, a leg, and my firstborn. I INSTALLED ORIGIN FOR THIS DAMMIT! :lol:

I dont care about game delays because I never anticipate games....I learned a long time ago let others be the first adopters.... I aint got time for issues!

That and I get them for $5 all perfectly patched OR with guides of how to work through certain bugs. Thanks first responders! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Dude, Planetside 2 could be considered a "AAA" title, it's been out for a while, and it's still the most un-optimized POS yet simultaneously most funnerest (sp?  :doh: ) game out there imo, yet Life is Feudal, a basically "indie" game, was released (into Steam early access mind you) as a RIDICULOUSLY un-optimized pile of crap and in 2-4 months was polished into an extremely playable and fairly optimized game. 

• 1 month later...

here lately, or so it seems to me, there has been a rash of highly over-optimistic release dates that don't come to pass and get rescheduled, because the devs are trying to hard to please everybody and adapt for multiple platforms...right now i'm thinking of witcher, but a while back it was crysis 3, and before that mass effect, ....it just seems like that when devs stick to a particular group/platform, then both good gameplay and accurate release dates happen....

• 1 year later...

I don't pay any attention to release dates. I never buy any game when it's new, and I don't get them until they've been reviewed three ways to Sunday.

If there are any issues, I just don't buy them.

Most of my PCs are on the higher-end, (all are running Crossfire or SLI) so I usually ignore performance issues that apply to lower-spec PCs.

When I do buy a game, I play the crap out of it for a while, then I return to my favorite old standards that don't really need much horsepower anyways.