new build for sons what do you think

jdm_freek

I've got a 260X that is running amazingly and will play all the games I have at max settings.

My roommate has a 270X that he spent almost twice as much for but is also happy with it.

• Like 1

I've got a 260X that is running amazingly and will play all the games I have at max settings.

My roommate has a 270X that he spent almost twice as much for but is also happy with it.

+1 My dad's 7770 GHz edition was a little beast at 1680x1050 and I believe it's still doing quite well for him on my old 1920x1200 monitor.

But yeah, I'm forgetting the scope of the needs here and a 270x or 750Ti would be great choices

• Like 1

I would go for the 750Ti given the small size and low power.  You can do better performance per dollar, but the crazy low <40w power usage and mine using the reference style cooler never gets warm even after a couple hours of stress.  

The Pentium would be a good pairing with it considering price, OC ability (good chance that board will let you if not check around as many will that aren't Z87/97) and upgrade path to something like an i5/i7 if you find a good deal later on.

• Like 1

Why would a 8 core cpu bottle neck it? I've got the 9590, so I'm learning here, not hijacking. Can't afford a $350 card, either. LOL

Where do you get 8 cores from a g3258 ??

On another note, yes the 750 would be a good match for that system.

Why would a 8 core cpu bottle neck it? I've got the 9590, so I'm learning here, not hijacking. Can't afford a $350 card, either. LOL

OP's son is using dual 4 core 2.33GHz Xeons e5410, but now wants to retire that rig and replace it with a rig that uses a 2 core Pentium.

To me that sounds like a really bad downgrade (I should know, I've made a lot of downgrade mistakes in the past).

I would just pop a 750Ti in with the dual 4 core Xeons and call it a day, unless the reason you are replacing the old rig is because it is dead/dying ?

OP's son is using dual 4 core 2.33GHz Xeons e5410, but now wants to retire that rig and replace it with a rig that uses a 2 core Pentium.

To me that sounds like a really bad downgrade (I should know, I've made a lot of downgrade mistakes in the past).

I would just pop a 750Ti in with the dual 4 core Xeons and call it a day, unless the reason you are replacing the old rig is because it is dead/dying ?

Multi-CPU setups are NOT that great for apps that aren't aware of it.  The "quick" explanation of it: The software needs to keep multiple threads of a process on the same CPU for fast access to cache data between cores.  In the types of tasks these systems are designed for the software is aware and optimized for the environment.  

The Haswell pentium is a HUGE per core upgrade and say what you want about the few games that can thread well making use of more core, but the little pentium can hold its own easily out pacing older quad core designs most of the time (including AMD's current stuff)

On top of that the pentium will use far less than half the power doing it all and the system will take up less space as planned.

For $200 or less the 280 is hard to beat. The Sapphire 280 Dual X is going for aorund 180 and has a rebate still to go. If you can swing a another $100 the Sapphire 290 Tri-X is a STEAL for performance to dollar at $270.

Unless you are going 4K, multiple GPUs are more trouble than they are worth. If you want to do a multicard setup the new AMD stuff with out a bridge, 260X, 285, 290 and 290X are the better solution right now.

its not the performance on his dell 690 its the size and power consumption this is huge close to 100lbs

and pulls more power than my rig with no where close to the performance 

xeons weren't meant to be gamed on