3 replies to this topic

#1 TimeMachine

TimeMachine

Civilized Mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1505 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 10:01 AM

My friend is starting her business in design. Lots of files and images are to be transferred and shared at any given time.  The problem is she has a few workers and they are working in different locations; which means that the server/ drives need to be accessed from anywhere. 

Is it wise to build a server or just use the cloud? Thanks!

qtind6.png
1528301.png

#2 Gremlin

Gremlin

Certified Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1738 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 03:08 PM

I would use the cloud... Having to build a server and maintain with people in diff locations is not going to be fun..

Put it this way, rather have a cloud where they have to worry about backup of herr data and maintaining the hard drives instead of your friend or you?. It is worth the money spent. Since you might know about it than she, you could do the research on which company is good for her.. 

Edited by Gremlin, 12 November 2014 - 03:09 PM.

Gremlin_FLG.png

#3 gebraset

gebraset

Certified Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1363 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:53 PM

I'm going to vote for a cloud solution as well. The time it takes to manage a server, along with completing proper backups, just isn't worth the effort when compared to the cost of cloud storage. Besides the time spent, you also have to factor in initial cost, electricity use, and hardware replacement. When it's all said and done, I'm guessing that cloud storage would not only be easier, but would also be cheaper, especially with online storage costs coming down due to mass competition.

Gateway NV52L15u

15.6” HD LED LCD | AMD A10-5750M | AMD Radeon 8650G | Samsung 850 EVO 256GB | 8GB DDR3 1600

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Revived Gaming PC

HP w2207h LCD | AMD Phenom 9150e @ 2.165GHz | MSI GeForce GTX 750Ti | HGST 500GB 7,200RPM | 4GB DDR2 800

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#4 TimeMachine

TimeMachine

Civilized Mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1505 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 05:30 PM

I would use the cloud... Having to build a server and maintain with people in diff locations is not going to be fun..

Put it this way, rather have a cloud where they have to worry about backup of herr data and maintaining the hard drives instead of your friend or you?. It is worth the money spent. Since you might know about it than she, you could do the research on which company is good for her.. 

I'm going to vote for a cloud solution as well. The time it takes to manage a server, along with completing proper backups, just isn't worth the effort when compared to the cost of cloud storage. Besides the time spent, you also have to factor in initial cost, electricity use, and hardware replacement. When it's all said and done, I'm guessing that cloud storage would not only be easier, but would also be cheaper, especially with online storage costs coming down due to mass competition.

Thanks boys! Will do some research.  Any recommendations on clouds?

qtind6.png
1528301.png