Hi there!

RazerZ

Hi everyone, how's it going :wave:

I'm new to this site, but I'm definitely looking to get actively involved. I have been a member of another hardware forum for quite some time now and thought I would try something new. I love anything pc related but I do have other hobbies as well such as rock,stamp, and coin collecting along with soccer as a sport. I play the bass guitar and the violin. I like all music except the western/cowboy style of country music. My current system is alright for now but I plan to build a heavier CAD station come December. I was the winner of the DH-15 (Sweet!) and would love to upgrade from my A6 5400k to hopefully an i7 4770k or something of the like. We'll see what ebay has to offer  :happy:

Oh, did I also mention I'm a huge anime fan?

Pleased to meet yall!

Edited by RazerZ

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome!

Hyperthreading isn't as helpful as most people think, especially for the extra $80 to $120 you'd end up spending for the i5 to i7 difference. With that amount, you can spend more on additional memory, or just move on up to the X79 or X99 platform for hexacore CPU's.

Welcome RazerZ! I hope you do stay, you'll find it's a tighter group around here and a great place.

Also *highfive* since I played viola in middle school and a big anime fan as well.

Enjoy the DH15 as well!

What other forum were you a member of if you don't mind me askin'

Hyperthreading isn't as helpful as most people think, especially for the extra $80 to $120 you'd end up spending for the i5 to i7 difference. With that amount, you can spend more on additional memory, or just move on up to the X79 or X99 platform for hexacore CPU's.

Or he could buy one of your old CPUs :P

Welcome RazerZ! I hope you do stay, you'll find it's a tighter group around here and a great place.

Also *highfive* since I played viola in middle school and a big anime fan as well.

Enjoy the DH15 as well!

What other forum were you a member of if you don't mind me askin'

Or he could buy one of your old CPUs :P

I'm also on Tom'sHardware if you're interested. http://www.tomshardware.com/community/profile

Welcome to the site and congrats on the win!

Rock collection, huh? Like gemstones, minerals, and similar ones?

Yes! Everything from Agate to Zircon lol. Also have a decent fossil collection going as well, albeit it's tiny compared to the buckets of rocks and minerals I have accumulated over the years.

Welcome. Are you a architect/ engineer? I find the i7 4770k to be plentiful paired with 32GB of ram.  I run Autocad 2013 and It barely touches the other cores. 

PS. the Noctua is a great cooler! Running one in this rig.

qtind6-5.png

15704283545_fea816177d_c.jpg20140416_161439 by Lighted Canon, on Flickr

Not yet, but I plan to study mechanical engineering. Would other programs such as AutoDesk Inventor, Matlab, Catia, SolidWorks, Labview, etc. benefit from the i7? 

I want to put the DH-15 to good use, but saving money is always nice. Would I see a noticeable performance gain in CAD programs with an overclocked 4670k compared to a stock i5 4430?

Nice setup btw, I'd love to do something similar to it.

Edited by RazerZ

Not yet, but I plan to study mechanical engineering. Would other programs such as AutoDesk Inventor, Matlab, Catia, SolidWorks, Labview, etc. benefit from the i7?

In general most CAD programs love cores and they love clock speed. Hyperthreading, depending on what you're running, can scale anywhere from a few tens of percent to nearly 100% (IE: the additional threads perform as well as another full core). It really depends on how your workload is bound and that is dictated by what application you happen to be running. Some programs, even professional CAD programs, are very branch-heavy and tend to scale nearly linearly with additional threads. :)