Need advice on liquid cooling for X99 build

XeroHertZ

I was just making sure the OP knew you were talking about SSD in particular and not SSDs versus HDDs. :cheers:

Ah, yeah. :)

I've used a single HDD, a single HDD with a SSD Cache, a single HDD with RAMCache, 4 HDD's in RAID 10, an asynchronous SSD, a synchronous and toggle SSD, two synchronous and toggle SSD's in RAID 0, and a RAMDisk to see if I noticed faster load times on a couple different games. Anything involving a SSD or RAM (instead of just a HDD or even HDD's in RAID 10), and I definitely noticed a difference. It's not really a huge difference, but it was noticeable. However, I don't know if I would have noticed if I wasn't looking for the speed difference. I personally don't think it's worth it, but even with that thought, I use SSD's for just games. :)

Edited by El_Capitan

• 1 month later...

I am also upgrading to an X99 build from an X58.  Quite happy I skipped the X79.

I had one of those Swiftech Edge liquid cooling setups where the radiator and pump were combined and came with a waterblock for the CPU and tubes.  I also added a waterblock to my video card (GTX 580).  The system was nice and I never ran into a problem until recently when the pump broke.  I had koolance quick disconnect fittings and I had no leaks after running it 24/7 for approximately 2.5 - 3 years.

My X99 system will have a Corsair H110 closed loop system.  While I never had a problem with the liquid cooling setup, the fact that I don't do any overclocking led me to believe that anything beyond a closed loop water cooled unit was a bit overkill.  I'm already going overkill having an X99 system, I don't feel like doing it with a water cooling config.

Here is my build list:

Case:  Corsair 750D ($160)

MB:  Asus X99-E WS ($478)

CPU:  5930K ($570)

CPU Cooler:  Corsair H110 ($110)

Memory:  Corsair Dominator 32GB PC4-21300 ($800)

OS Drive:  Unknown yet; currently have an Intel 530 240GB SSD, not sure if I will upgrade

Storage / Program Drive:  Samsung 850 Pro 1TB ($660)

Backup Drive:  Samsung 840 EVO 1TB (already have this drive, not part of total cost below)

Video Card:  Gigabyte GV-N980G1 (overclocked GTX 980) ($630)

PSU:  Corsair AX1200i ($250 after rebate and discount)

Total cost:  $3600 (+/- with discounts and shipping)

I checked the sound pressure and it looks like the H110 CPU cooler and the video card operate at the same noise level.

Also, with a water cooled setup, not only will you have noise from the pump, but also radiator fans.

I currently have a Corsair 800D case and it's a good case, but you can't use 140MM radiator fans; the case isn't wide enough at the top mounting area.

Hi All,

So I have my GPU's installed in slots 1 and 3 in my Rampage V mobo, I installed my soundcard on slot 4, I just wanted to make sure, will doing that block airflow from the card in slot 3? I can't install it between the GPU's as I have a 240gb Mushkin Scorpion PCI-E SSD installed between them.

Thank :)

Yes, that arrangement will impact intake airflow of the gpu in slot 3.  Fortunately, since it is the lower gpu they tend to run cooler than the top gpu, so impact may be negligible.  Won't really know until you get the rig assembled and check temps.

Sometimes due to the motherboard layout and your peripheral hardware, it is what it is.

Yes, that arrangement will impact intake airflow of the gpu in slot 3.  Fortunately, since it is the lower gpu they tend to run cooler than the top gpu, so impact may be negligible.  Won't really know until you get the rig assembled and check temps.

Sometimes due to the motherboard layout and your peripheral hardware, it is what it is.

Hmmmm..I'm almost done building my rig, will check the temps and see how it goes.

Thanks wevsspot :)