23 replies to this topic

#13 El_Capitan

El_Capitan

Even the sun goes down

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7174 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:16 AM

However, if I want to utilize the high refresh rate of 110Hz for twitch-beneficial games, then I need to SLI/Crossfire two cards. 

Because lowering settings isn't an option :teehee:

Never! :)

#14 wevsspot

wevsspot

I'm trying to be helpful.... really I am

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16282 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:31 AM

I hate SLI and CF, wait until the next "titan" comes out.

Hey Black, do you have some specific reasoning behind your statement or are you just being silly?  There are some drawbacks to multi-gpu setups; power requirement, heat, noise (maybe), lack of game or driver optimization.  But hate is a strong word..........................

31765372778_b7d6ff5f2a_o.jpg

#15 Nyt

Nyt

Overclocking addict

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4700 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:37 AM

I hate SLI and CF, wait until the next "titan" comes out.

Hey Black, do you have some specific reasoning behind your statement or are you just being silly?  There are some drawbacks to multi-gpu setups; power requirement, heat, noise (maybe), lack of game or driver optimization.  But hate is a strong word..........................

You probably answered your own question. All those drawbacks are why many people prefer single GPU setups.

i7 4770K | ASUS GTX1080Ti Strix

ASUS Maximus VI Hero | Samsung 850 Pro | Corsair H105
Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz 4x4Gb | Corsair AX860i
Cooler Master Storm Trooper | Seagate Barracuda 2Tb

#16 wevsspot

wevsspot

• 16282 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:50 AM

They are only drawbacks in certain situations......................  And certainly wouldn't apply to everyone.  Many (if not most) enthusiasts are already running grossly over-provisioned power supplies for their rigs that would easily support another video card.

Noise is dependent on the design and style of the gpu cooling asssembly

Heat may or may not be a problem depending on the size of the case, the case design, the model and brand video card being used.  Black didn't say he prefered single GPUs, he said he "hated" SLI and CF.  So I'm curious as to what drives his hate....................

#17 El_Capitan

El_Capitan

Even the sun goes down

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7174 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:59 AM

^ For me, the drawbacks don't outweigh the benefits. I'm curious as to why people "hate" it.

Edited by El_Capitan, 23 September 2014 - 10:59 AM.

#18 ClayMeow

ClayMeow

Member Title Exceeds Member Title Character Limit

• Review Editor
  • 19463 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:48 AM

I hate it because to me, the drawbacks do outweigh the benefits.

CMt.png
- Steam - Raptr - Xfire - GameSpot - Kongregate - IGN Blog -
- ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe - i7 3770k - NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti - 16GB DDR3-1866MHz - Acer Predator X34 -
::: Follow OCC on facebook.png ::: OCC Xfire Clan ::: OCC Steam Community Group ::: OCC Rules :::

::: OCC E3 2013 Awards ::: CES 2013 ::: COMPUTEX 2010 :::

::: NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV Review ::: Acer Predator X34 Review :::

#19 wevsspot

wevsspot

• 16282 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:01 PM

Crow, looks like you're going to have to put it up for a simple vote  :)  and then just go with the majority (or against the majority depending on which way the wind is blowing today).

#20 Crow47

Crow47

Certified Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1324 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:31 PM

Well really the only point I'm hearing against the SLI setup are considerations like heat and power. Neither of these have an effect on me in any way. I have plenty of power and an airy case in a cool room. I've had four different multi-card setups over the years so the pitfalls are fairly well known to me at this point.

CrowcompX

Gigabyte X99 UD3P - i7-5820k 4.3GHz - 16GB DDR4 2400 HyperX - Asus Strix 1070  - 500GB m.2 Samsung 850 Evo -

750 Watt eVGA Supernova G2 - Corsair H80i - In Win 303 Black - Win 10 Pro x64 - LG 34" Ultrawide w/Freesync

#21 l1il

l1il

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 01:28 PM

I would go with War saying "because lowering the settings isn't an option". Yea it does feel good to have graphics looking the way you want, plus you paid over 1500$ more than a console, so you expect some noticeable advantages over them. Yes, those damn pixels are just ugly to look at, aliasing is one of the worst thing when looking afar.

I think that for newer games, you don't have to wait as long as before to get SLI/XFire compatible, and is launch day compatible when game is optimized for your graphics chip. On a lot of sites they are saying that stuttering for SLI setups is negligible since the 480. The 780, being the smaller brother of the 780 Ti, doesn't consume as much power and could be a very good SLI candidate, as the 3GB is going to help as well as a sizable memory buffer.

If the ambient temperature of the room stays close to 30°C, I would discourage you to get such a setup, as the delta °T is higher with dual setup, possibly involving 780's to downclock and create stutters, which negates your effort of having more horsepower.  In that case a 980 would be more effective. Or if you are already having driver issues, that would just be putting the nail further on the casket.

#22 Bosco

Bosco

OCC Boss

• Senior Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32955 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 01:45 PM

If your needs require Dual GPU's then there is nothing wrong with it.

The performance you gain is usually noticable, but if you are starting from scratch it can be a costly purchase no doubt. I have been running dual GPU's for quite a few years now and don't see myself going to a single GPU anytime soon.

Main Gaming Rig
Intel 6700K
MSI Board
32GB Gskill
Titan X
Samsung 1TB SSD
Corsair 600T White
Noctua D14 CPU Cooler
Corsair 1200 Watt PSU
Asus 32" 4K Monitor
Donating to OCC :::: OCC Site Rules :::: OCC Reviews
RIP Verran and Nemo gone but never will be forgotten.

#23 ClayMeow

ClayMeow

Member Title Exceeds Member Title Character Limit

• Review Editor
  • 19463 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:16 PM

Well really the only point I'm hearing against the SLI setup are considerations like heat and power. Neither of these have an effect on me in any way. I have plenty of power and an airy case in a cool room. I've had four different multi-card setups over the years so the pitfalls are fairly well known to me at this point.

Actually the biggest one is optimization issues and lack of support. Big-budget titles may get driver updates eventually, but for smaller titles, multi-GPU setups can actually cause problems and require you to turn one GPU off, which completely defeats the purpose. Why spend money on something that you won't get the benefit of 100% of the time?

CMt.png
- Steam - Raptr - Xfire - GameSpot - Kongregate - IGN Blog -
- ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe - i7 3770k - NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti - 16GB DDR3-1866MHz - Acer Predator X34 -
::: Follow OCC on facebook.png ::: OCC Xfire Clan ::: OCC Steam Community Group ::: OCC Rules :::

::: OCC E3 2013 Awards ::: CES 2013 ::: COMPUTEX 2010 :::

::: NVIDIA SHIELD Android TV Review ::: Acer Predator X34 Review :::

#24 Crow47

Crow47

Certified Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1324 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 05:10 PM

Actually the biggest one is optimization issues and lack of support. Big-budget titles may get driver updates eventually, but for smaller titles, multi-GPU setups can actually cause problems and require you to turn one GPU off, which completely defeats the purpose. Why spend money on something that you won't get the benefit of 100% of the time?

That's quite true and a valid point. However, it all comes down to the games that I play, and a few months ago when I had SLI 670's there were only one or two games that didn't fully support SLI (*cough* Watch Dogs *cough*). 

CrowcompX

Gigabyte X99 UD3P - i7-5820k 4.3GHz - 16GB DDR4 2400 HyperX - Asus Strix 1070  - 500GB m.2 Samsung 850 Evo -

750 Watt eVGA Supernova G2 - Corsair H80i - In Win 303 Black - Win 10 Pro x64 - LG 34" Ultrawide w/Freesync