Memory Leak - Win 8.1

suchuwato

Initially I thought it was something to do with my network adapter (It still might be) as it started sometime after I installed it (TP Link TL-WN722N)
I tried a couple of things and no dice. Any ideas? My google-fu seems to be lacking.

Any ideas on possible causes or ways to start diagnosing the problem? I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro

Thanks

XqD0NRS.png

Edited by suchuwato

GyYBzbn.png

I'll get a 'Memory Low' notification when running just Premiere (which is set to leave at least 4gb of free memory) and the usual background services - so something's afoot.

Edit: So under my user in the user tab it says I'm using 3.2gb

Edited by suchuwato

I don't have 8.1, so not sure how its calculations work. If you open up Resource Monitor, it should break it down a bit further into what's reserved, in use, on standby, and free.

3.2 GB is coming from apps you have opened.

There can be background system processes that are taking RAM. You could go in the Details tab just to see if they match the Processes tab. Usually there was processes that where hidden by default, I think you should be able to see them this way.

To me, it looks a bit like a virus. I have heard that some can be hidden Try disabling your network adapter and reboot to see if the issue is still there. Then open the resource memory, select the memory tab and open Adobe Premiere and see if you are in the same boat.

You got a lot coming from Google Chrome, have you resetted it lately?

1. Settings.
  2. Show advanced settings and find the "Reset browser settings

I don't have 8.1, so not sure how its calculations work. If you open up Resource Monitor, it should break it down a bit further into what's reserved, in use, on standby, and free.

I'm trying to replicate it, when it happens I'll post a screenshot from Resource Monitor...

3.2 GB is coming from apps you have opened.

There can be background system processes that are taking RAM. You could go in the Details tab just to see if they match the Processes tab. Usually there was processes that where hidden by default, I think you should be able to see them this way.

To me, it looks a bit like a virus. I have heard that some can be hidden Try disabling your network adapter and reboot to see if the issue is still there. Then open the resource memory, select the memory tab and open Adobe Premiere and see if you are in the same boat.

You got a lot coming from Google Chrome, have you resetted it lately?

1. Settings.
  2. Show advanced settings and find the "Reset browser settings

Yes, a driver could do a memory leak, but it would show in the Task manager or the Resource monitor. Same if Chrome was having a memory leak (which wouldn't be unheard of as Firefox had a lot of them in it's different beta stages). I would expect them to appear.

I don't think that would be hardware related, but if really nothing shows maybe a memory error check (do it overnight) could show up something. Do you have it at stock clock (1333 MHz) as written in the resource monitor?

Yes, a driver could do a memory leak, but it would show in the Task manager or the Resource monitor. Same if Chrome was having a memory leak (which wouldn't be unheard of as Firefox had a lot of them in it's different beta stages). I would expect them to appear.

I don't think that would be hardware related, but if really nothing shows maybe a memory error check (do it overnight) could show up something. Do you have it at stock clock (1333 MHz) as written in the resource monitor?

Ran Malwarebytes and nothing of note to report. Chrome is back to non-beta

This is how Resource monitor looked after restarting and ending stuff like Spotify, Google Drive, etc...  (now I've opened MSpaint and Chrome, the 'In Use' bar has actually gone down and the 'Standby' bar is only a little bigger (~3226) :/ )

MOWAMmg.png

Interestingly Windows Defender is still doing stuff despite being 'disabled'

Edited by suchuwato

Can't speak on Windows Defender, but disregarding that, your Resource Monitor report seems pretty normal. Guess you'll have to wait and see if you encounter your over-usage again and then take a look.

Man, I don't know what's going on anymore. I've tried to make it happen (opening loads of tabs in Chrome, running Resolve, Premiere, Photoshop, After Effects, MediaCoder, Avid all at once then quitting) again, but it's not playing ball.

I guess that's good?

All I've done is go back to 32bit Chrome, and uninstall a few redundant drivers (which was more general housekeeping than trying to fix this) - but surely if it was chrome then it'd show in Resource monitor as one of or the sum of the Chrome processes?

I'll post again when it happens.

Well, for redundant drivers, it always help to get them removed.

You could also take a look on Chrome's user forums, as you are probably not the only one. Sometimes, Flash player is not going to play ball and loads the RAM. It did until I resetted my Firefox.

Why didn't it show in the resource monitor? Myst

Edited by StefenHeif