Gremlin reset my BIOS

Cespenar

Uh-Oh .............

Computer wont let me re-install Windows. It is OEM. But that's not the problem.

Mucking around with the BIOS made the Computer not load windows and there is a kernel problem.

But my copy of Win7 wont allow anything to be done.

I'm on my son's computer at the moment, and I might see if his copy will work. If it does, I guess I'll have to buy a retail copy of win7.

Damn, I did something wrong with Asusprobe.

So I'll be off the air for a while.

Okay! Back up and running!

But I have to mention a nasty hickup in the re-install. The install process read "Can't install to partition ( whatever?)"

My son was helping (My memory is fading) and he went online on his ipad and he found where some one said sweep the partition.

He opened a command prompt and had to press F10! Oh yes! Nasty hickup!

The program sweeps the drive, not the partition! So I lost my .... well, everything I wanted to keep.

I think I already said I want 2 new drives. There was no room for backup on the games disk.

When I can I want a reasonable SSD for windows and mabe a 1T HDD for the games. Ditch my old spindle and use my 500 for backups. I guess I'll get around to doing things properly ........... one day, maybe. One day.

OK a few things for windows:

If you use multiple drives on installation and then remove them or change the cable order it can cause windows to act stupid. You can fix this usually by booting up from a windows disk, using command prompt to repair the system by typing FIX MBR (master boot record) and then FIX BOOT, followed up with letting the disk try to repair problems automatically. Usually this does the trick. Or just hook things back up the way you had them. Usually this problem only happens on multi-disk/multi-boot setups - I've had the issue a couple times because I usually run two drives each with their own OS - if one drive fails I can swap to the other :teehee:

Secondly if there was any information you REALLY need, it could still be recoverable but you need to stop using the drive to have any chance. I mean files that cannot be replaced such as family photos. The data is still there it is just not "cataloged" anymore, it will be there until it has been written over by your new data.

I have no raid things. And I didn't change any drives. And we did the re-install before thinking of recovery.

I think that there are good ideas here and I should follow your advice.

Thanks for all the help.

A final comment: I tried to use my windows repair disk and it would not accept that.

I tried to do a windows repair from the original disk and that would not work either.

I did find some lost stuff saved to a DVD so not so bad.