Sapphire ITX Compact R9 285 OC Reviewed

Bosco

Tbh, title got my hopes up as seeing ITX in there made me think we had a new low profile champion because THAT would be a true ITX card. This shoulda been called a 285C ( for compact ).

Great performance in a smaller PCB though I still wish it was 1/2 height.

Wardozerx, I understand your point and appreciate it. The issue at hand is the size of the cooler. A decent gaming chip needs a certain level of cooling and going down to half height and short length would remove to much in the way of cooling potential to allow the use of a solid gaming GPU. However I like a challenge and so have begun a discussion with our engineering team to see what the biggest GPU we could put on such a card would be to see if it could be viable.

Well you guys are doing well considering this card matches and beats the Powercolor full size card temps wise lol

A 285 (essentially a 7950) uses a LOT more power than a 7870 or GTS 450. Cooling scales with power use so I doubt you'll ever see a 285 and all associated circuitry on a half-height or single-slot card.

A 285 (essentially a 7950) uses a LOT more power than a 7870 or GTS 450. Cooling scales with power use so I doubt you'll ever see a 285 and all associated circuitry on a half-height or single-slot card.

I thought the 280 was a 7950?