AMD FX 8370 & FX 8370E Reviewed

ClayMeow

Last week, Frank took a look at Intel's newest entry, the high-end i7 5960X.

This time around, Frank takes a look at AMD's newest entries, the 8-core FX 8370 and FX 8370E; options for the more budget-conscious consumer.

Check out his review here:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/amd_fx8370__fx8370be/

On pure overclockability the FX-8370E is the way to go. It ran so much cooler in IBT than the FX-8370. As far as performance is concerned you are gaining entry at a lower price point that allows an upgrade path for those currently on 4 and 6 series FX hardware. They have decent performance but you still take an FPS hit when compared to lower clocking Intel chips. Its an interesting play to be sure and I am curious to see where the 8320E falls in the performance metrics.  

Intel still wipes the floor with AMD, but the good thing about the red camp is you haven't had to worry about socket compatibility for years. It certainly makes them appealing if you're the type of person that likes to upgrade often.

You know with 95w 8000 series parts someone could try to squeeze everything on an itx board, too bad without a new chipset it's just not going to happen (low sales + trying to fit extra controllers for basics like USB 3.0 would make things VERY hard in such small constraints) AMD Just doesn't seem to care to even fight for the middle to high end these days and it's sad, APUs are cool and all, but a Pentium Dual core/i3 can stomp all over even the A10 as far as being a CPU.

In all honesty these CPUs came out to throw a bone to all the users with AM3+ boards with crap VRMs sitting on an FX-4000/6000 CPU that were thinking about upgrading.  It gives you another option other than replace with another outdated motherboard and CPU vs give Intel the money. Considering an i3 in many "normal" use cases can best the FX-8000s and going with an i3 gives you a platform with lower power usage, newer gen PCIe, USB 3.0, MANY more motherboard choices and likely most importantly an upgrade path all the way up to an i7 the way I see it either users had to be VERY stupid or they needed to give them a more cost effective option.  

Factoring in all that as long as a user's boards gets a BIOS to use the new CPUs they are a VERY viable upgrade route for the lower end FX users to not need to get a new board/cpu all at once.  Not to mention it's physically a very simple upgrade.  

Even with that said with the AMD road maps void of any plans for the enthusiast platform in the near future Intel's got my upgrade money because they keep advancing the tech even without much competition (just wish they had some to drive them on a little faster) :) that and the money they've saved me on my power bill with my 3570K vs if I had gone FX-8000 back when I bought it.

Edited by cchalogamer

Well, the AMD platform is easy to OC and look at it like this, OC'd they offer the same or better performance than the i-series @ stock only for $100 or more less.

It's not $100 less anymore when you NEED to spend extra on a good board and you NEED to buy better cooling.  I've got a 4670K (over $200 but same cooler as the other i5s for reference) running on the stock air cooler stable for a friend @ 4.1 max turbo.  (4.0 max for all 4 cores) This is on a cheaper $90 MSI board.

Just something to keep in mind when comparing the CPUs is to compare the entire platform.  

Well, if there was any doubt about the overclock-ability of the FX 8370....doubt no more!    The Stilt has set a world record of 8722MHz with one under LN2.  http://hwbot.org/newsflash/2652_the_stilt_sets_new_cpu_frequency_hwbot_world_record_8722_mhz_with_amd_fx_8370?utm_source=email&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=weekly12

Well, if there was any doubt about the overclock-ability of the FX 8370....doubt no more!    The Stilt has set a world record of 8722MHz with one under LN2.  http://hwbot.org/newsflash/2652_the_stilt_sets_new_cpu_frequency_hwbot_world_record_8722_mhz_with_amd_fx_8370?utm_source=email&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=weekly12

They had the record with the 8150 but at that point the celeron crowd came alive for a while. The FX-8370E is the way to go. It ran quite a bit cooler than the FX8370.