Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Edition Reviewed

Bosco

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may have to move the wife up to IVB-E since her 980X just feels so slow by comparison. But then again I'm sitting here with a 920 in my daily driver. 

Ooooooooooooooh I wants da 980x!

But yeah nothing even makes my 920 sweat but I'd love a gulftown just for the badassery but it'd have to be like $40 or less for me to care since I'd truly not see a performance increase. My e-pants on the other hand, may appear to become a bit tighter...

My current pc is an i7-980x. I dont find the speed really lacking but what i do find lacking is features of the x58 chipset which are terribly outdated. If I could somehow get sata III and pcie 3.0 and usb 3.0 on my pc I wouldn't even bother upgrading.

Seems 4.5ghz is a realistic stable OC with some good water cooling. 8 cores at 4.5ghz is pretty nice. I'd rather build a tiny mini itx lan gaming box tho. I can't rly utilize more than 4 cores. Don;t know why I'm using a 6 core now.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: if you mostly care about gaming performance and are already running an i7, there's no need to upgrade. This new chip doesn't change that, especially for the price. CPUs are so underutilized that the vast majority of people could be running 3yr old CPUs without it being a bottleneck.

This^  Everytime I read a new review about the latest $1000 intel chip, I feel glad that I will never have to pay $1000 for an intel chip. I'll be getting last years $1000 CPU on eBay with 95% the performance of this years for a quarter the price. Thanks Intel for releasing so many CPUs to keep the used price down! :teehee:

Edited by Black64

My current pc is an i7-980x. I dont find the speed really lacking but what i do find lacking is features of the x58 chipset which are terribly outdated. If I could somehow get sata III and pcie 3.0 and usb 3.0 on my pc I wouldn't even bother upgrading.

Seems 4.5ghz is a realistic stable OC with some good water cooling. 8 cores at 4.5ghz is pretty nice. I'd rather build a tiny mini itx lan gaming box tho. I can't rly utilize more than 4 cores. Don;t know why I'm using a 6 core now.

Yeah I agree the weak point for me is my lack of native USB 3.0 ports. I have an add in 2 port USB 3.0 card but I'd love just two more ports lol

That and the crappy board of mine doesn't register my 3rd stick...so I only have 8GB of my 12GB installed. Tri-channel....more like lie-channel

My wife will love the Core i7 5960X. It will make F@H so much more productive for her when I add in an R9 290x. 

In that pink abomination? 

Hey that case is pretty nice even though it is pink. It has a 360 rad up top and a 240 at the bottom. Purple LED fans and pink coolant. Its a chick case on steroids.