Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Edition Reviewed

Bosco

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To expand on that a mainstream Intel K-SKU(4770K/4790K) only have 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes to handle the graphics load. When running a single card you have the benefit of the full 16 PCIe lanes from the CPU for expansion use. Add a second card and most configurations drop to x8 x x8 then to x8 x x4 x x4 so you start to induce latency. The 5960X with 40 PCIe lanes does not suffer that same limitation with 40 PCIe lanes available for expansion..  

The best news for me is that the IPC gains aren't THAT big and it seems the Haswell silicon lottery on OCs is still in full effect making that already HIGHLY unlikely move for me from Ivy-E to Haswell-E even more silly of an idea.  With that said for users with a longer upgrade cycle (people who bought i7-990X's "way back" in 2011) it might be a good time to drop the cash and get off the aging platform.  Also I still want one anyway...or an E5-4657v2. Either way.

I may have to move the wife up to IVB-E since her 980X just feels so slow by comparison. But then again I'm sitting here with a 920 in my daily driver. 

I hear that some wives are happy with flowers and candy, but they're probably not as much fun.

I may have to move the wife up to IVB-E since her 980X just feels so slow by comparison. But then again I'm sitting here with a 920 in my daily driver. 

I hear that some wives are happy with flowers and candy, but they're probably not as much fun.

Happy is a relative term!  :wave:

My wife asks for computer upgrades each christmas, she is easy to buy for but not exactly cheap.

My wife asks for computer upgrades each christmas, she is easy to buy for but not exactly cheap.

Cheap, never. My wifes birthstone is Diamond. I was in trouble from day one!