I got a free AMD Radeon R9 290! - New build on the way

saywhut

Hey everyone,

It's been a while since I posted here.  I've been recently in the market for a new build, but I wasn't sure what to get exactly.  Fortunately, I was lucky enough to attend the 30 year anniversary AMD Gaming convention here in Austin, and so they gifted me an AMD Radeon R9 290! :D  Shout to to AMD for making such a great event, and giving out such an awesome gift!

I am looking for a new PC that will handle virtualization such as Hyper-V.  Question is, how much RAM, what kind of processor and motherboard will I be looking at?  I want to stay with AMD if I can for the proc.

Budget is around $500 since I already got the video card :woot: , but I am flexible.

I am a bit washed up as I have not been keeping up with the latest and greatest, so any sense of direction will be highly appreciated, as well as any personal opinion.

What an awesome free gift!

Could you clarify what you what to do with Hyper-V, specifically how many virtual machines are you interested in running and are you planning on running server 2012 as your primary operating system?

I've never done any virtualization before, so I just want to set it up to "play" and experiment with.  I've seen and been told that I can use Hyper-V with Windows 8.1, or maybe even Windows 9.  I do not plan on hosting anything being that this will be my new PC.