Smart TVs vs Real TVs

Network-Enabled TV's fall into two vary broad categories:

Basic internet-enabled TV's are limited to displaying video content from online video streaming services. To provide a familiar user interface, these TV's provide an app to access each of several online video streaming services, and each app is designed to access a specific video streaming service. Most of these TV's also allow media streaming content stored on a computer on your home network.

On the other hand, the most advanced smart TV's like LG's 9 series started with dual-core processors, Nano LED technology and 4K resolution back in 2012, and now are similar to smart phones and some tablets. These TV's go beyond providing access to web-based media, or streaming content stored on your home computer. Smart TV's have the built in computing power that allows you to do many of the same things you can do with a smart phone or tablet such as web browsing, use of web-based services like skype, youtube, and interactive access to social media sites. While access to these functions may also be provided with the familiar app style of user interface, the apps on a smart TV can be - just as they are on smartphones and tablets - fairly sophisticated software applications by themselves.

I have a 24" 1920X1080P smart TV in the kitchen nook area,.. and it's nice to watch the local news or surf the internet while having breakfast,.. using only one monitor.

So for me,..it's thumbs down to dumb TV's   :down:

Edited by Braegnok

Nice looking plasma TV & great deal,.. the 50" is $599 at Amazon,..  :whoa:

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-50PB6650-50-Inch-PLASMA/dp/B00KQRFLZQ/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Yeah I know Amazon would price match Fry's which is what I'd do if I got it, I'm still deciding if I should spring the extra and just go all the way...before the LG popped up I was going to get this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BXF7I9M?t=slickdeals&tag=slickdeals&ascsubtag=f0bb177d0d6a4134ba7f97288c7aafa8&ie=UTF8&at=&force-full-site=1&ref_=aw_bottom_links (it WAS $429 before though)

Personally I prefer the picture quality of a border-less plasma,.. compared to the LED,.. when you go over 50"  

But I was talking more about the 4K, even though it's 30Hz, that'd be fine for running just desktop stuff. But yeah, black contrast wise, the plasma'd have it beat

Plus it'd have none of that smart boooooolsheet to worry about

Edited by IVIYTH0S

That's a tuff call,.. both are nice pannels

Years ago I had a Samsung 30" plasma panel when they first came out.  I used as my desktop monitor and the picture quality/response time was awesome compared to any LED panel I had ever used. I haven't seen any 30" plasma's nowadays and that model was discontinued,..

Desktop stuff would rock on the 60" plasma,.. with the boooooolsheet  :lol:

Edited by Braegnok