Sign in to follow this  
helium_biscuit

Best FPS to avoid hackers.

I haven't ever played paid FPS, but after someone on a popular, open source, free FPS hacked into my linux computer from his/her game server, I decided to go paid. I am under the impression paid games dont give players the ability to actually hack into a windows PC (what I have now), let alone a Linux computer.

I have yet to make a purchase, because I would like more information on which paid FPS are best to avoid hackers.

Please let me know.

Thanks!

Edited by helium_biscuit

Any modern game? On pc you are always going to run into a server or two with "hackers". To avoid this just play games that have anti cheating like Value VAC servers or Punkbuster.

Any modern game? On pc you are always going to run into a server or two with "hackers". To avoid this just play games that have anti cheating like Value VAC servers or Punkbuster.

Thanks for your reply.

Is there any quick way to know if a game is VAC and/or Punkbuster certified?

Hacked into your computer how? What game?

So you don't mean cheaters, you mean full blown hackers, like out to get you in the real world??

So you don't mean cheaters, you mean full blown hackers, like out to get you in the real world??

I mean full blown hackers, trying to get into my PC to do stupid stuff like make my DVD tray pop out or make my monitor flicker. However, I'd like to avoid cheaters as much as possible, too.

I just wanted to clarify something I didn't explain fully: I now own a windows 8 laptop. When I was hacked, I had a linux machine. Sorry about any confusion.

Thanks.

It's all good, just when I hear about hackers in games, I usually associate it with cheaters.

That's crazy though, atleast they weren't real evil and were after your personal data.

Can't say I've ever had any issues with REALhackers when multiplaying a game, though i haven't played any MP games in a while.

I mean full blown hackers, trying to get into my PC to do stupid stuff like make my DVD tray pop out or make my monitor flicker. However, I'd like to avoid cheaters as much as possible, too.

I just wanted to clarify something I didn't explain fully: I now own a windows 8 laptop. When I was hacked, I had a linux machine. Sorry about any confusion.

Thanks.

What game? These sound like coincidence, not hacking...

Thanks.

What game? These sound like coincidence, not hacking...

A game formerly known as "Nexuiz" now named "Xonotic".

And it was no coincidence. I joined a game and the guy that was hosting the server took complete control of my character. Then his friend told him to make my dvd to pop out and BAM, it popped out. He did a few other things before I turned off my computer and reinstalled Linux.

Edited by helium_biscuit

I was able to "hack" into someone computer back when Quake 3 was big. All you need to do is host your own server and have a game that doesn't protect the network protocols. As for recent games. I think if you are on windows and playing any major tripple-A title, you are completely safe. Just don't install mods because that would most likely be the only way in.

If anyone is wondering, all I could do in Quake 3 was delete game files and or turn off the network drivers. It wasn't a real hack job. Unless your running a completely unprotected systme (like linux), windows and MacOS requires you to okay everything more than once. Like I said, only way to get into windows most likely is use of mods you download from custom game servers.

A game formerly known as "Nexuiz" now named "Xonotic".

And it was no coincidence. I joined a game and the guy that was hosting the server took complete control of my character. Then his friend told him to make my dvd to pop out and BAM, it popped out. He did a few other things before I turned off my computer and reinstalled Linux.

That's hilarious, but totally harmless. As a server admin that's poor form as well, but still, that would have made me laugh too. :lol:

EDIT: By harmless I mean unless you ran the game as root they're unlikely to have been able to do anything significant.