Intel Fourth Generation Core i7 4790K Reviewed

Bosco

Honestly, there is no reason for anyone who currently owns an i7 (any i7) to upgrade their CPU until/unless 1) it fries/breaks, or 2) devs actually start fully utilizing CPUs in apps/games.

I agree with Clay, unless your making a living doing video work there is no reason to upgrade any I7, hardware has finally surpassed software, about time .

Hardware has always been ahead of software. :lol:

Honestly, there is no reason for anyone who currently owns an i7 (any i7) to upgrade their CPU until/unless 1) it fries/breaks, or 2) devs actually start fully utilizing CPUs in apps/games.

As an upgrade no but if building a new system there is no reason to buy a 4770K  when the 4790K does everything that the 4770K does and more with the benefit of running cooler.  

Nice review Frank!

I like you guys using synthetic benchmarks as well as real life ones. The dhrystone and whetstone ones show raw processing power. Whether software takes advantage of it, is another thing. I like how objective your review was, noticing the fact that a slightly faster 4770k (OC, for sure) stays faster than a 4790K took me somewhat by surprise. I was sure that Intel did more than apply better TIM.

It looks like the newer Haswell architecture has a steep overclocking wall, where 4.6 GHz runs stable with a bit of voltage boost, but 4.8 seems unstable or it is a furnance.

I would have liked to know a bit more on temperatures, you reported 5 to 7 degrees cooler than 4770K, but I tend to be a result hog.

Thanks for the info!

Nice review Frank!

I like you guys using synthetic benchmarks as well as real life ones. The dhrystone and whetstone ones show raw processing power. Whether software takes advantage of it, is another thing. I like how objective your review was, noticing the fact that a slightly faster 4770k (OC, for sure) stays faster than a 4790K took me somewhat by surprise. I was sure that Intel did more than apply better TIM.  The 4770K i use for reviews just overclocks better than the 4790 I have. Typical with the architecture it seems. The 4790K I have will post higher with more juice but I just cannot keep it cool enough even on water to run the benchmarks, nevermind being stable. 

It looks like the newer Haswell architecture has a steep overclocking wall, where 4.6 GHz runs stable with a bit of voltage boost, but 4.8 seems unstable or it is a furnance.  4.8 would be both of those, unstable AND a furnace :)

I would have liked to know a bit more on temperatures, you reported 5 to 7 degrees cooler than 4770K, but I tend to be a result hog.  I, did not log it but used the 4 core averages from real temp but will look to add that. 

Thanks for the info!