Trying to OC my 4670k

Hello.

I decided to OC my cpu which is 4670k.

My motherboard is gigabyte h87-hd3 so i decided to use that easytune software that i have installed for my motherboard.

It has some preset things, like 4GHz, 4.2,4.5 ETC, but when i press those, it asks me to reboot and it wont overclock at all. Now, there is also "autotune", during which it increases multiplier by 1, and i let it go as far as 4.6GHz, but then i decided to stop the tuning, since 4.6 is more than i want.

So i decided to go to bios and do it manually. There are also some preset options, like 4.3,4.5,4.8GHz, ETC but they dont seem to work either. Or they do but here is where the problem comes in.

So when i manually overclock it, i can increase it from 3.4 GHz to 3,5 and to 3,6 and to 3,7 and to 3,8. that is where it stops. I just cannot go over 3.8GHz. Not when i manually do it or when i use preset options.

I heard motherboards has some blocks in them, but if that is the case, why would the preset options go as far as 4.8GHz? i dont get it.

Any help for this odd problem? i tried looking for answer but only one i could find was "reset bios to defaults and it works" but didnt change anything for me.

The mb you have is not a  oc'ing board, which is your main problem. You may want to get a z87 board, you'll have more room to oc.

Not necessarily. Gigabyte and a couple other vendors have BIOS updates that will allow H87 motherboards to allow overclocking if you have an unlocked CPU. 

Boronislaw, hornybluecow wrote a guide on overclocking here: http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/overclock_intel_4770k_guide/

It may help you understand how to overclock your CPU. If you raise your multiplier to a certain amount, you'll also need to increase your Vcore, sometimes a few other voltage and non-voltage settings as well.

Edited by El_Capitan

Well i had a thought that the motherboard (or bios) could be the reason why it wont go past 3.8GHz. I just found it pretty odd that it still gave me the option to try and OC it, and even those preset settings would have gone far past the 3.8GHz part. Strangest part is that i actually could increase my multiplier up to 68. Now, obviously i wouldnt do that, but i still find it odd that it gives me that option.

This isnt the first time i'm doing OC to my cpu, but first time with this cpu. So thats for that link El_capitan, could be useful.

I think i will update my bios tomorrow and then try again. Good thing i have dualbios :)

I just updated my bios to newest version, but it didnt change anything. I still have the same problem, so now i'm thinking that my motherboard just dont support overcloking more than x + 4 (x meaning your normal multiplier).

I'm just wondering why that is, since i cant find anything in the motherboards manual or by looking with google. Nobody has said anything about this problem. So what is this problem?

The mb you have is not a  oc'ing board, which is your main problem. You may want to get a z87 board, you'll have more room to oc.

I repeat my first post, these mb's are not good for oc'ing, no matter what bios you use, a friend of mine had one and it was worst than yours, and when he tried a higher oc it would just blue screen, just the nature of the beast. :yucky:

+1 . I'm with spike. it's not a problem. it's just simply they are not good at ocing and some don't even have the option.  Why your auto oc goes to 4.8ghz and manual can't get past stock has me thinking they just threw in a few presets so that they can say it has overclocking abilties. Of course the clause is that you may not reach the same results as is the case in overclocking anything.

I hear you guys and i'm not sure anymore if there is any problems.

What still gets me wondering is that easytune software. When i use that autotune button (i tested it again with newer bios) it goes atleast to 4.6GHz but i dont go there so i stop that tuning. And i dont mean it just says i could go 4.6GHz, i mean it really goes there. While that autotune is going, i can look my multiplier and GHz amout in other softwares also (like cpu-z and open hardware monitor) and it really goes to there. So it is possible to OC it that far, how else would you explain that with that autotune option it goes there? 

But i'm done, i wont do test anymore. Its not like i even need that extra power, it was just something i wanted :) 4670k at 3.8GHz is more than enough for games now. If i ever need more, i just buy Z87 or Z97 MB and OC like hell. Until then, thanks everybody for your time.

If somebody still reads this and somehow knows how to fix it (if there even is something to fix) please post it so me and possible others can get past this without new MB.

Only problem with the autotune is I'd bet if you were to check your cpu voltage at 4.6 you would see it is way to high, which will in time degrade your cpu, hw monitor should show the voltage. Those mb's are good boards, just not really meant for oc'ing.