USB 3.0 External Drive housing.

SpeedCrazy

I'm re-installing as I type. It has been a while but i have run USB 3.0 thumb drives off both computers.... though i never checked to see if they were operating at rated speeds...

Thanks wev i found that late last night but did not get a chance to try the drive after installing it. That should solve the problem on my desktop, i have probably re-installed since i last used a 3.0 device on it. However my laptop Dell Precision m4800 should not need an extra installed as it claims to run 3.0 out of the box. Any idea there? I should really check the cd that came with it but i'm on the road right now.

Thanks wev i found that late last night but did not get a chance to try the drive after installing it. That should solve the problem on my desktop, i have probably re-installed since i last used a 3.0 device on it. However my laptop Dell Precision m4800 should not need an extra installed as it claims to run 3.0 out of the box. Any idea there? I should really check the cd that came with it but i'm on the road right now.

Dell's website doesn't mention any special drivers??

I didn't have any issue with my desktop (add in card, installed the drivers and it ran USB 2.0 until I restarted) and laptop (Dell 15R SE, just installed all the drivers I could from Dell and my USB 3.0 drives have been fine)

It's a little odd that both aren't working though :-/

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Well i got home this afternoon and tried the desktop for the first time since updating the driver. I plugged it into the 2.0 port and it said to switch to a 3.0 for superspeed transfer, so i switched and it is still not detected.... no new bios updates available. Need to check for the laptop.

Interesting thing is that the hdd knows its plugged in, but the computer doesn't.

Edited by SpeedCrazy

• 1 month later...

Today in my work they bought one and I tought it wasa good idea t get one for me so this thread is interesting.

I have looked and found Western Digital My Passport or a Toshiba both 1Tb USB 3.0. WD is a bit more expensive. I also saw Samsung but I dunno... I preffer WD since they are Hard Drive manufacturers.. (that's my conclussion)

All the drives I've ever seen die in laptops have been Toshiba drives...but that doesn't mean their desktop drives necessarily are bad. I wouldn't put them down unless I personally had bad luck with them.

WD, Seagate and even one old Hitachi I found have all served me well.