Cheap Laptop For my mom (Looking at Baytrails)

My mom currently has a Dell Vostro 1400 with 1GB RAM and still running XP. I was thinking about upgrading her to an SSD, 4GB of RAM, and Windows 8.1. The only downside I'm seeing is that it is 7 years old and is only SATA 1 and DDR2. Those two upgrades would put her at about $100, but I'm thinking her laptop may not last long and she would end up having to buy a new one anyway. 

I'm currently looking at a Baytrail from ASUS since they currently are going for about $300 on newegg with 4GB RAM and Win 8 64-bit. She only uses her laptop a couple times a month and then for doing her taxes when the time comes. What do you guys think about the Baytrails?

This is the one I'm thinking she should get.

With a computer that old, I definitely would just look into buying a new one like you are proposing. With a laptop that old, I would be surprised if it continues to hold out for years to come. Plus, with the upgrades you stated, you might as well put the money towards something newer and more refined.

I see no issues in regards to the laptop that you posted, though it is based on Haswell and not Baytrail. I don't have a ton of knowledge with Intel processors and such, but it is a solid budget laptop that features decent hardware for everyday tasks. However, take a look on the Dell website (http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-15-3537/pd?oc=fndnc2132s&model_id=inspiron-15-3537) to find the computer at $249.99, a full $60 cheaper than Newegg is selling it for. I have no idea how long the deal will last, but I'd bite and save the $60 now, lol.

I agree with not putting money into the old laptop, but I would choose the asus over the dell even though it's a little more.

Just curious as to why you would go with the ASUS? I'm not saying its a bad choice, I'm just curious, since that is what I was preferring over the Dell.

The asus has a faster cpu which you never know when it may come in handy, also asus seem better made than dell, just my opinion but having worked on both brands I find dell's not as well made.

That's what I was thinking. My main concern is the overall performance of the low speed processor. But considering how little she will use it, I don't think it will be that big of a deal. I will probably still try to get her an ok SSD for around $50 just to make the experience a bit better.

Yeah, I was wondering why there was a Dell with a Haswell processor linked in your post, lol.

As far as the ASUS, I see nothing really wrong with it either, given the tasks that your mother needs it for. I've heard mixed things about trackpad reliability with ASUS, but overall, would trust them more so than Dell. Either way, I think both laptops would serve her pretty well. I'd personally grab the Dell for her and get a cheap SSD, completing the build for the same price as the ASUS, but that's just me. You have to decide if name branding and a newer processor architecture is worth it. The warranty on the ASUS is definitely appealing though since it also covers drops and spills.

Yeah, I was wondering why there was a Dell with a Haswell processor linked in your post, lol.

As far as the ASUS, I see nothing really wrong with it either, given the tasks that your mother needs it for. I've heard mixed things about trackpad reliability with ASUS, but overall, would trust them more so than Dell. Either way, I think both laptops would serve her pretty well. I'd personally grab the Dell for her and get a cheap SSD, completing the build for the same price as the ASUS, but that's just me. You have to decide if name branding and a newer processor architecture is worth it. The warranty on the ASUS is definitely appealing though since it also covers drops and spills.

I found the ASUS at microcenter for $250. So I'm thinking I'll try to convince her to get it. My wife is against it and trying to get me to wait until black friday, but I don't see budget laptops going on sale for much lower than that.

amazon (free 30 day prime membership, just remember to cancel)

PNY XLR8 120 GB $65 w prime

Crucial M500 120 GB $72 with prime

Crucial M500 240 GB $105 with prime

SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB $120 with prime

PNY XLR8 240 GB $111

Seagate 600 240 GB $115

today's prices 5/25/14