7990 or 2 r290x's

camaro_dude15

Have you ever folded before with a gpu? On my machine my cpu barley sees any usage at all.

What he said, granted my 7770 is not going to bottelenck my CPU but as far as %CPU load when folding the GPU, it's minimal

Unless you use both the CPU and GPU.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever folded before with a gpu? On my machine my cpu barley sees any usage at all.

What he said, granted my 7770 is not going to bottelenck my CPU but as far as %CPU load when folding the GPU, it's minimal

Unless you use both the CPU and GPU.

duh! :doh:

after i won the vision tek some sense snapped into me and i didnt bother bidding on another, im hoping for a nice boost in points, i plan on having one 7770 run my monitor ( i noticed that when i run my monitor off of a card thats folding its very jittery) and the 7970 and the 7990 running fah, and ill throw the left over cards into something to run them

Yea when I had folding on my main rig with nvidia cards the screen was jerky, I dont fold with it any more stuck the 7970s in the old i7-920 rigs I used to fold SMP on till they change the core count on BIGADV..

1000w should be plenty for stock clock speeds, (I would estimate you being around the 800w mark loaded folding, furmark or similar of course might be an issue but it's hardly going to give real world numbers).  OCing everything you could start to have issues but you still have some headroom.  I personally would start looking at a better PSU both for the extra headroom and efficiency.  If you end up using all that thing's got to give efficiency is going to suffer and I'm assuming the Cougar you have is the Bronze rated 1000CMX.

WHY! I can NEVER find my box with the modular cables for my power supply, this is the con of a modular psu, so frustrating, i think they might be in my storage unit, the next town over, so i pulled out both 7770's and that left enough connectors to run the 7970 and 7990

i sure hope the point estimates in the client are wrong, if not, this thing will only get about 20k between both wu's its working on

Edited by camaro_dude15