Overclocking a 870M?

Hi!! I wanna try and OC my 870M so I can squeeze out some more performance from Planetside 2. I would like to gain 5-10 fps. I currently get 40 fps ultra settings forced through PS2 .ini. I searched on Google but couldn't find any information on this card. I tried Msi Afterburner and my Core Clock is already at 954mhz but I have room to overclock my memory. Is there a certain bios I need to use for this gpu? it's a Kepler but already factory OC'ed to the max.

Edited by AllYourF0rt

With my 880m Afterburner can't OC it at all either.  However EVGA Precision can do up to 135mhz offset for the 880m.  However this Sager is much more fiddly when it comes to the dedicated GPU compared to the MSI I had before and one trick I've found is open GPUz BEFORE you open Precision and it will play nicer with the card (GPUz forces on the 880m and switches off the Intel 4600 for me) 

The 780m and 880m both OC the same as their desktop counterparts with one exception, you can't adjust the power limit so you're stuck with the default power consumption that can limit the OC even before heat possibly.  With that said the 880m is nearly maxed out when you get it home it seems (After all it's the same card as the 780m from last year just with more memory glued on and a new BIOS)

Chances are someone will mod a bios for the cards that allows for extra power consumption, but I'm not sure I'll have much more room due to thermals, assuming they used the same heatsinks for your 870M as the 880M upgrade though you might have a good chance at getting a nice little OC. 

Oh Just went and checked the specs of the 870m vs 880m again, I forgot that the 870m uses a 192 bit memory bus vs 256 bit, there's a chance that the memory OC might give you a real boost in certain scenarios.  

I would say, lower your settings.

It is for the best if you want to keep your laptop healthy.

I generally would not advice overclocking on laptops since it gets hot already without any overclocking and pushing the hardware could mean you can enjoy your laptop that much shorter.

Ask yourself this, would you rather play ps2 on ultra with an overclocked card and have the laptop live for 1 year, OR lower it to high settings, still have a great experience, and have the laptop for longer than 1 year.

I think it is not necessary for you to overclock since you can lower the settings a lot and if you cannot play ps2 on the settings you want, maybe you should step over to a desktop.

Plus, ps2 relies more on CPU than GPU.

The minimal OC you would get, won't give you the results you want as well.