Sager 8278s turning off on boot help please..

AllYourF0rt

Hello, I have a Sager 8278s that I just purchased a week ago. I was using it earlier and was playing a game on battery not knowing it was not plugged in. I closed the lid cause I had to go somewhere. I came back and plugged it in when I get right past the Sager splash screen it just turns off by it self. I tried removing the battery and holding down the power button no results. I am thinking about trying to reset the CMOS? I don't have much experience taking apart laptops mainly desktops. Please help me out I really like this laptop and I just got it. On another note I have it plugged into a Tripplite ISO Ultra Bar so it cant be something that fried it.

Good news is these computers are easy to take apart in general, bad news is I went to take my new one apart to show you steps for CMOS battery removal based reset and my keyboard screws are 1 tiny as hell and 2 tightened down to the max.  I can only get two of the 6 out without stripping them.   Hopefully you will have better luck, you have a different but similar model to mine so should just be able to pop the plastic piece above the keyboard off (I lifted just above the numberpad and it popped right off on mine and it SHOULD be right under the keyboard once you get the screws out for it.  Just be careful of the keyboard's cabling and the battery may be in a "case" of sorts with red and black wires plugged into the motherboard (actually usually is for a laptop) so just unplug it from the board vs trying to remove the actual battery.  

You can also try removing all power from the system and holding the power button for ~30 seconds to see if that will trigger a reset.

I did the taking battery out reset and what not. I have no idea how to take the keyboard out there are no slots to pry on. I'm posting on Notebookreview.com as well so far no responses but it has 60 views so...

Edited by AllYourF0rt

Did you let the battery  fully charge before you tried to power it up ? It is acting like the battery is still dead , make sure the adapter is sending a charge to the battery. Also if it's brand new I'd watch out what you take apart because you could void the warranty.

Edited by SpikeSoprano

You wont void the warranty, that's one of the bonuses of these laptops (and may other high end ones) as long as you don't break anything.  I just took time to do mine just for you and shot video of the whole thing (less the part of my using lots of profanity at two screws that nearly have the heads stripped out now.

I've got to edit the video (seriously Droid Razr Maxx = worst auto focus ever) and I'll upload it to youtube asap.

EDIT: I took forever, but rendering now, silly i7-4930K @ stock speed.

EDIT 2: Well Uploading now, however my upload speed isn't fast to begin with and it's acting odd jumping up and down right now so it might be awhile before I get it online. The first 10% went by as expected now it's saying nearly an hour to go for the whole 3 min video (238 MB)

EDIT 3: I take no responsibility for anything you break btw :D

There ya go, it's not pretty but should help you out assuming the 17" version isn't too far off in design.

Edited by cchalogamer
  • Like 1

Hey so I tried taking the little bar off the top above the keyboard I dont see a cmos battery so I didnt reset it. Just spent 2k on a piece of shit laptop that can't even fuckin boot. This is the kind of shit that makes me never want to get a laptop again. I want my friggin money back fuck a dang laptop i'd rather build a desktop then fuck with this POS.

Edited by AllYourF0rt

Hey I fixed it I removed the keyboard unplugged cmos battery for a couple min it posted but wouldnt start windows so I did a fresh install of windows and it works now. Somehow the 840 pro got corrupted and had to be reformatted.

• 1 month later...

Dont blame your laptop because of samsungs firmware

honestly, I just had to reinstall windows 8.1 because it is a POS and my bluetooth stopped working on my laptop

word of advice, do NOT install any optional 8.1 updates related to networking or bluetooth

I also have a samsung SSD and I have updated the firmware but no problems over the past few months

for future reference, usually when a computer turns off on boot it could be heat related

clean out the heatsink fan with a dust can, most laptop users dont know laptops get dusty inside

Edited by potatochobit