Motherboard DOA?

Just put together a new system and I am having weird anomalies with it. 

When I boot the system I get no beeps at all from the mobo speaker, Removed all drives and video devices, still no beeps. Removed the CPU and DIMMS and still no beep. I DO however get 3 long beeps with only CPU installed and no DIMMs. From my knowledge, 3 beeps mean mobo is not detecting DIMMs, but when I insert known working ones, back to no beeps at all. Also, I don't know if this helps, but every time I go to boot system, I get "Unsupport" message on my TV after the screen goes back like its about to go to splash screen. Tried HDMI, DVI and VGA all same message.

I've narrowed it down to being either the Motherboard, CPU or PSU.

Changed out the new RAM sticks for known working ones, PSU is brand new that ran flawlessly in a more powerful system for all of 1 hour before I upgraded its PSU and carried over to this build. Reseated CPU, checked for broken pins etc. Also, I tried a single known working stick of RAM in each of the RAM slots as well as different video cards that are known to work.

What do you guys think? I am leaning towards the mobo being bad, but I don't want to count out the CPU either.

MSI A55M-E35 Socket FM2/FM2+

AMD A6-6400k APU

8GB G.Skill RAM

350Watt PSU

1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

LG DvD Combo Drive

Edited by DnaAngel

I'm guessing you using onboard video?

At this point I would check that all the power cables are in (like the 8-pin EPS) and seated properly. I doubt the power supply is bad or you wouldn't even get beeps unless it's turning off right away.

Next I would just put in a single stick a ram and cpu. Than test it out, no need to connect hard drives or anything else as you'll get the bios without them.

If that doesn't work maybe check to make sure you have the monitor hooked up right. I'll admit more than once, I forgot to turn my monitor on and thought something went bad.

Last thing you can do is reset the bios and see if that does anything.

I'm guessing you using onboard video?

At this point I would check that all the power cables are in (like the 8-pin EPS) and seated properly. I doubt the power supply is bad or you wouldn't even get beeps unless it's turning off right away.

Next I would just put in a single stick a ram and cpu. Than test it out, no need to connect hard drives or anything else as you'll get the bios without them.

If that doesn't work maybe check to make sure you have the monitor hooked up right. I'll admit more than once, I forgot to turn my monitor on and thought something went bad.

Yeap. I reseated everything 2-3x, including all power connections. Currently I have it on a test bed with just mobo, CPU, RAM and PSU hooked up, everything else is not connected.

Tried the single stick of ram in both RAM slots. Monitor is on, working and connected properly. A monitor turned off still wouldn't explain the no beeps.

Edited by DnaAngel

Why do you think you should get beeps, is there no image at all on the monitor ?

Because every motherboard Ive ever built with has had POST beeps indicating the health. 1 short beep means you are gold. Yes, there is no image on the monitor.

LOL, I haven't used a mb speaker in years, are you sure the bios is set to use onboard video, or , do you have a spare video card to try with it ?

Edited by SpikeSoprano

Why do you think you should get beeps, is there no image at all on the monitor ?

Because every motherboard Ive ever built with has had POST beeps indicating the health. 1 short beep means you are gold. Yes, there is no image on the monitor.

Not recently I'm afraid. 

LOL, I haven't used a mb speaker in years, are you sure the bios is set to use onboard video, or , do you have a spare video card to try with it ?

There is no need to laugh and be condescending about it. I was just asking for help. I have been building about 2-3 PC's a week for customers for a good 5 years now. I am not new to this by any means and when it comes to customer's PC's I make sure everything works 100% and that means making sure speaker is plugged just in case. 

EDIT: How would I know what the BIOS is set to, when I cannot access the BIOS because I get no splash screen. Yes, I have used different known working video cards as well as all 3 (VGA, DVI and HDMI) integrated video outputs.

Edited by DnaAngel

Have you tried another PSU? It sounds as though you have tried everything else. 

That I haven't done. Current PSU has only been used for 1 hour in another working build that I took it out of (due to needing a stronger PSU for the upgraded GPU being installed). I checked the rails with my multimeter out of curiosity, all reading the correct voltages.

I believe you guys that there are motherboards that do not beep during POST, I guess I am just old school about things and I have never personally come across one that didn't. In all honesty I rarely ever use them in my personal builds, but over the past few years of being used to the beep on the motherboards I did use mobo speakers on, not hearing a beep in addition to not getting anything on screen raises some flags to me.

Edited by DnaAngel

well if it doesn't turn off after the beep (like fans stops) and the board still have power lights on it, than my guess is that it's either a bad board or chip. Some boards you can power without a CPU so you can update the bios.

Since you build computers everyday for 5 years, I would just go with your gut and get a new board.

well if it doesn't turn off after the beep (like fans stops) and the board still have power lights on it, than my guess is that it's either a bad board or chip. Some boards you can power without a CPU so you can update the bios.

Since you build computers everyday for 5 years, I would just go with your gut and get a new board.

Haha I wish it was everyday! I would be rocking then! Spring/Summer sees a drop in sales, but I average about 2-3 builds a week. A+, Security+, CCENT and Network+ Certified with a Bachelors in Network Administration. I tend to take it a bit personal when people make me out to be an imbecile about these things, esp when I am just asking for a heads up.

Thank you, I just wanted to put it out there and ask, as RMA's are a pain and I wanted to be more sure which part to RMA out.

Edited by DnaAngel