Sign in to follow this  
kennethk

Budget build: Work pc - Low cost

here is what i would do....

let your uncle know that Most, not all NEW hardware will NOT work with XP as there isnt much, if any, driver support for it. So rather than take a gamble and buy new hardware that may or may not work then offer to source USED hardware that will work with XP.

Just because it isnt supported does NOT mean he will get all the nasties on the web. it isnt supported so it means patches for things (exploits) arent going to be possible if he ventures places he shouldn't

There will come a time when 3rd party browsers wont support XP neither and he wont be able to browse the web easily. AV is getting harder to find as some of them have also dropped support. I still have a few boxes running XP and there are things I need that will not run on Win-7 so i see no need to switch.

If he wants to use XP let him just let him know it wont be without issue at some point. Make sense?

let your uncle know that Most, not all NEW hardware will NOT work with XP as there isnt much, if any, driver support for it. So rather than take a gamble and buy new hardware that may or may not work then offer to source USED hardware that will work with XP.

Just because it isnt supported does NOT mean he will get all the nasties on the web. it isnt supported so it means patches for things (exploits) arent going to be possible if he ventures places he shouldn't

There will come a time when 3rd party browsers wont support XP neither and he wont be able to browse the web easily. AV is getting harder to find as some of them have also dropped support. I still have a few boxes running XP and there are things I need that will not run on Win-7 so i see no need to switch.

If he wants to use XP let him just let him know it wont be without issue at some point. Make sense?

I have...it's seriously sad that people are still on this xp subject when that wasn't even the main point of the topic, I'll just go else were.

You people seriously made this topic feel as if I'm in a store and a salesman is constantly shoving an item in my face saying BUY THIS BUT THIS, when that item isn't even what I came into the store for,

Edited by kennethk

I have...it's seriously sad that people are still on this xp subject when that wasn't even the main point of the topic, I'll just go else were.

You people seriously made this topic feel as if I'm in a store and a salesman is constantly shoving an item in my face saying BUY THIS BUT THIS, when that item isn't even what I came into the store for,

But you must understand where all the XP concerns are coming from... 

I'm trying to convince my uncle that building your own is way better then buying one out. 

Why are you trying to convince your uncle that going with a custom-built rig with XP is better than a similarly spec'ed pre-built system which comes with a newer OS pre-installed ?

Everyone here is feeling like you are a guy coming into a gun store asking if he should use a pistol or a revolver to shoot himself in the foot and the gun store assistants are telling you that you really should not be shooting yourself in the foot in the first place, but you insist that they only give the advice you asked for.

When and where did I say I was forcing him to stick with xp? When and where did I say this build would have been better with xp?

If he wants to stick with xp as he's been using that os for years that's his call, would you force a customer to buy 8gbs of ram just because they want 4gbs just because you think its better?

I've really felt mistreated here so far:

A guy told me he didn't want to help me with my build just because of the os that's being installed and then continues to bash the os and calls me ignorant.

I've constantly had to say to people that the os install was not my choice but yet they continue to flood even after I said the main point was to get parts.

The only few people that actually contributed to the main point was kyfire, hornybluecrow, and ccokeman sorry if I missed someone.

The rest of you just tried mind raping me as to why I shouldn't go with xp as if it's even my build, if he wants to upgrade to windows 7 or 8.1 in the future fine but that's another $100 cost that he just doesn't want to do.

Seriously I felt really mistreated in this topic just over a dang operating system, I use to love this site and the information it's given but come on.

The main point was to get a good list of pats not to get insulted over an os that I'm not even forcing him to use.

So while it is his choice it's your responsibility to advise him.

Seriously - the OS essentially adds zero cost if you go buy a prebuilt.

What exactly will your Uncle do with the PC? what would be your hardware options? and is he opposed to using Linux? let me go back and check that link you posted on hardware.

So while it is his choice it's your responsibility to advise him.

Seriously - the OS essentially adds zero cost if you go buy a prebuilt.

How many times have I said I have done that already? Jesus.

Or I could just install ubuntu on it.

Intel 820-D isnt an awful bad CPU. just for the sake i cant remeber have you tried a fresh install of XP or even a Vanilla Install of XP?

XP should run very good on that if you have 2gb or ram or more....

but that's another $100 cost that he just doesn't want to do.

the OS essentially adds zero cost if you go buy a prebuilt.

This^

Many people here suggested your uncle goes with a pre-built system which comes pre-loaded with Windows 7 or 8 - that way it saves him $100 in the future if he does wish to upgrade.

You said you are trying to convince your uncle to go custom built which means you have no budget for 7/8 and have to go with XP, but why do that when you can get a prebuilt PC with similar specs and a newer OS at the same cost ? 

Intel 820-D isnt an awful bad CPU. just for the sake i cant remeber have you tried a fresh install of XP or even a Vanilla Install of XP?

XP should run very good on that if you have 2gb or ram or more....

XP probably does run well on that, because that's the XP PC that his uncle currently has and wants to upgrade :)

Because the point of this thread is to get pc parts listed like I've said thousands of times.

Seriously, we're still talking about the os?

Edited by kennethk

That would mean buying a prebuilt at Walmart for 299.00-399.00 and those machines are garbage. Although many people buy them they are sold  with the bottom of generic parts and have an expected lifespan on 2-4 years.... Although prebuilds work for the general populous if this person wants to build his own PC who are we to persuade otherwise? even if it doesnt make financial sense in our eyes....

we should just put the options out there and let the person make their own decisions.