Budget build: Work pc - Low cost

kennethk

Guys we all know why we dont like XP but the OS is an added cost and this is an extremely low budget build. If his uncle wants to use it then thats his prerogative to do so. I think everyone has put there two pennies worth into the pot about the OS but a hard and fast part of this build is the OS as stated in the original post.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't build it for him if he wants XP. Problem solved.

Seriously? Lesson learned, don't meantion what os you're going to use in the next build.
Well if you're okay with someone running an out of date and dangerous OS then by all means pretend there's no issue.

I cannot recommend nor will I help any new XP build.

Guys we all know why we dont like XP but the OS is an added cost and this is an extremely low budget build. If his uncle wants to use it then thats his prerogative to do so. I think everyone has put there two pennies worth into the pot about the OS but a hard and fast part of this build is the OS as stated in the original post.

Appreciate that, I don't understand why people are acting as if I'm suggesting him to install xp, it's a bit silly and just immature when the point of this thread was to get parts listed for a build.

Personally I feel a lot of you are thread crapping and just wanting to whine about how much bad you think xp is want to flood it in my thread, it's a bit immature in my opinion when the main point was to ask for parts. Though I appreciate those that have at least tried to give me some part lists.

@Waco, I dont want your help if you're going to act like that about a dang pc build.

Personally I feel a lot of you are thread crapping and just wanting to whine about how much bad you think xp is want to flood it in my thread...

It's not that XP is bad. It's that it's unsupported entirely at this point and it's downright irresponsible to allow someone who doesn't know any better to build a new PC with it.

You're best off just going to Best Buy and buying essentially anything off the shelf with either Windows 7 or 8.1.

Personally I feel a lot of you are thread crapping and just wanting to whine about how much bad you think xp is want to flood it in my thread...

It's not that XP is bad. It's that it's unsupported entirely at this point and it's downright irresponsible to allow someone who doesn't know any better to build a new PC with it.

You're best off just going to Best Buy and buying essentially anything off the shelf with either Windows 7 or 8.1.

ITS NOT MY CALL.

Seriously look at my specs  :rolleyes:

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:44 PM

Alright guy's I'm looking for a good budget pc, I'm trying to convince my uncle that building your own is way better then buying one out. We're on tight financial costs so it needs to be cheap cheap cheap.

These are your exact words, it's not your uncle it's you who wants to build the pc with xp. So don't say it's him, let him buy a prebuilt and he will have no choice but get a newer os.

ITS NOT MY CALL.

Seriously look at my specs  :rolleyes:

So be forceful and tell him that he needs to upgrade.

For ultra-low budgets it's FAR cheaper to buy a prebuilt from Best Buy or some other brick and mortar...and you get a modern OS for free.

Seriously - we aren't ganging up on you for no reason, we're trying to help.

Oh my god I can't physically make him buy an os.  :doh:

Can amod please lock this?

The below quote sums up this thread.

Sorry for trying to help.

XP is a liability/danger at the moment. Everyone has pointed this out.

I know you want to stay with XP as you previously said you had a sealed copy you could use and this saves costs for your uncle, but as his nephew, you should at least inform him of the danger that XP provides currently and that similar issues may arise in the future (which probably would not with a newer OS) and then let you uncle make an informed decision.

You also said 

I'm trying to convince my uncle that building your own is way better then buying one out.

If I am reading that correctly then it means that you are picking the parts for this build because you are trying to convince him that building a custom rig with XP is better than getting a similar pre-built system with a pre-loaded newer OS - in a sense, it seems that if you were not trying to convince him to go custom built then he would buy a pre-built system which comes pre-installed with a newer OS. Unfortunately, going custom built with XP is worse than pre-built with a pre-loaded newer OS - which is what people have been pointing out. 

Oh my god I can't physically make him buy an os.  :doh:

Can amod please lock this?

The below quote sums up this thread.

Sorry for trying to help.

XP is a liability/danger at the moment. Everyone has pointed this out.

I know you want to stay with XP as you previously said you had a sealed copy you could use and this saves costs for your uncle, but as his nephew, you should at least inform him of the danger that XP provides currently and that similar issues may arise in the future (which probably would not with a newer OS) and then let you uncle make an informed decision.

You also said 

I'm trying to convince my uncle that building your own is way better then buying one out.

If I am reading that correctly then it means that you are picking the parts for this build because you are trying to convince him that building a custom rig with XP is better than getting a similar pre-built system with a pre-loaded newer OS - in a sense, it seems that if you were not trying to convince him to go custom built then he would buy a pre-built system which comes pre-installed with a newer OS. Unfortunately, going custom built with XP is worse than pre-built with a pre-loaded newer OS - which is what people have been pointing out. 

Just lock this thread lol, he doesn't listen and is ignorant to the advice given.

My advice will also be, buy a pre-build for 300-400 and be done with it.

If he really wants to use XP, then install that to the pre-build if you must.