Corsair H100i Leak Experience

They could have left you high and dry - telling you tough nuts. Sounds like they are trying to make it right, I've never heard of a company refunding water damaged parts. Just because some water got on a part doesn't mean it is instantly trash either. I've had a friend spill his beer all over a tower while it was on - coating the motherboard, cpu, and memory. He said if I could fix the parts they were mine. Guess who got a free CPU/motherboard/memory :woot:. He cut the power as soon as he did this all, and after a LOT of cleaning it was good to go.

Keep plugging away at them, otherwise you might not see anything.

Also you could easily push that rubber boot in a little bit, it looks like it just slid back some.

That rubber boot is what broke and cause the first round leak so needless to say wasn't too pleased with that discovery, and as of now they have replaced their defective part with one that's also defective and have a video card that assuming it decides to play nice and work again they themselves valued at $360.  I'm not sure how helpful you can call it really.

[warning, I'm about to go off ranting again]

It's kind of like if Nissan sold you a car, you parked that car in your garage, the car caught on fire while under warranty.  Nissan said nothing about it for a couple days then finally swooped in with promises to make everything back like before, yet a month later they send you car with the same defective part to park in your non existent garage they hauled off to their headquarters to examine though they said they were going to send a check, but haven't actually done it yet, but it's all cool because they sent the garage door back because it seems to still work paint looks good, just ignore the soot  and light burn marks on the interior.

[/rant]

It's just a highly frustrating experience where I would honestly feel better if they had just told me tough shit to start with and sent me a refurb working cooler vs wasting hours of my time trying to track down some way to get in contact with them and be lied to every step of the way. (Primarily lied to in the form of times/deadlines for them to act at any given stage) ON top of that I STILL haven't heard a damn thing back on that rebate issue from over a month ago.

Ok maybe I lied and there was more ranting to come.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know how you feel, good luck on the situation. I'm sure we are all rooting for you.

If there is room on those hoses on the barb you should add strong zipties at a minimum if you think it could leak again. I've been testing zipties on a build now for over 5 years on an old AMD 939 system. No leaks. Pull real firmly on them and use a tool to push the latch down into the hose for the best pressure. If you think it could leak out of fear / etc then do another offset 180

• 3 months later...

My H100 leaked all over my desktop tonight.  I haven't even used my desktop in a few months and have mostly been using my laptop.  It was working fine when I last used it 24/7.  Now I hook i tback up to setup a Terraria server and everything is going great.  Until about 15 minutes later it just shuts off.  My dog happened to be near the computer so at first I'm thinking he must have stepped on the surge protector and switched it off nd on again.  I still hear a fan spinning but I assume it's just the PSU since it keeps spinning for a bit after you shut the computer down.  Try to boot it back up and nothing.  It tries to but just sounds like something is wrong.  So I open it up and see liquid on the top video card...Is that dog drool I ask my self??  Can't be.  Even though I don't have my side panel on it was facing the back of the desk and he wasn't back there.  And there's too much of it.  I unplug it and notice even more liquid on the motherboard.  The top plastic piece of the cooler has some wiggle to it that I don't believe it had before.  So I'm thinking most of the fluid has been slowly leaking/evaporating while my computer has been sitting unused.  When I powered it on it started leaking out what little fluid was left and it shutdown either because it was getting too hot or because of the liquid leaking on the components.  I'm hoping it shut down because it got too hot before it could fry anything.  I've got it torn apart letting it dry out and removed the POS cooler. 

So if after I get a new cooler and let everything dry out and I find out something is fried how does the reimbursement work?  Did they pay you what you paid for the video card?  Or what they valued the card at now?  Did you ever get the check?

Anybody have recommendations for an air cooler?  lol

The coolermaster hyper 212+ evo never let me down, although i think you want something with more cooling performance?

It is nice to have for the time being though, it is rather cheap and performs quite well.

The coolermaster hyper 212+ evo never let me down, although i think you want something with more cooling performance?

It is nice to have for the time being though, it is rather cheap and performs quite well.

Not really.  I'm not even overclocking atm so it doesn't need to be fancy.  And probably can't be too large since I have a midsize case.

Step one it to document everything, the more pics the better.  I actually found it odd that I saw this on the main page when just a day or two ago I got the notification of a reply to my other post on another forum about this where another user was using my experience as a guide on dealing with his leak.  

You SHOULD report the potential issues when you first contact them. Even if you haven't tested yet. If you don't hear back from them in a reasonable time frame I'll get you some contact info of people who might be able to help if the standard process doesn't go as planned.  

Eventually I got my replacement and at the time $360 for the GTX 770 that was dead.  Nearest EVGA replacement on Newegg at the time was $359.99 it was NOT based off my invoice pricing. It also took a couple weeks after they decided on what to do before I saw the money.

Glad everything got sorted out... but this is just one more reason I have to stick with good ol' air coolers... sure they may not go as far but most can get pretty darn close with no worries about leakage. Sure it's nice to have the size of the cooler be moved to a better location but other than that I wouldn't really have much use for a liquid cooler

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Sorry to hear about your problem.  Much depends on case size (CPU clearance), RAM height and PCIe slot to CPU but here's a chart of most of the top coolers with size and clearance specs I put together.  I know of many mid-level coolers too, but haven't make up a chart for them.

Cooler size comparison 
(Width x Depth x Height looking from front of case with motherboard laying flat)

Cooler		 Heatpipes     Size W/O Fans	  	 Fans	       RAM Clearance*   CPU-Frt**     CPU-PCI-E***
Akasa Medusa		8x 6mm OD  144 x 129.5x163mm    140mm & 120mm PWM fans     54.6mm	       64.3mm
Cryorig R1 Ultimate	7x 6mm OD  140 x 142.4x168.3mm  XF140(140x25) fans	   45mm		   8mm *2*	70mm
Cryorig R1 Universal	7x 6mm OD  140 x 130 x 168.3mm  SF140(25mm) & XT140(13mm)  45mm	       8mm *2*	    70mm
K2 / Assassin		8x 6mm OD  140 x 128 x 158mm    120mm & 140mm PWM fans     48.2mm	       64mm	    70mm*4*
Dark Rock Pro 2		7x 6mm OD  138 x 124 x 166mm    120mm & 135mm PWM fans
Dark Rock Pro 3		7x 6mm OD  137 x 150 x 163mm	120mm & 135mm PWM fans	   44mm		51.5mm	    69mm*4*
NH-D14			6x 6mm OD  140 x 130 x 160mm	120mm & 140mm fans         49mm	       62mm	    70mm*4*
NH-U14S			6x 6mm OD  150 x  52 x 165mm     + fans		   	   46mm		   26mm		75mm*4*
NH-D15			6x 6mm OD  150 x 136 x 165mm	2x 140mm fans		    *1*		   67.5mm	75mm*4*
PH-TC14PE		5x 8mm OD  140 x 159 x 171mm	2x 140mm fans, PWM adaptor 45-50mm	   72mm		70mm*4*
Megahalem		6x 6mm OD  130 x  74 x 158.7mm	+ fans			   39.50mm	   37MM
SS HE01			6x 6mm OD  140 x 119 x 160mm	1x 140x38mm PWM fan	   47mm		   47.5MM *2*
Archon SB-E		8x 6mm OD  155 x  53.6x170.2mm	+ fanS			   42.35mm	   26.8mm	77.5mm
Archon IB-E		8x 6mm OD  155 x  53.6x165.2mm	+ fans			   48.2mm	   26.5mm	69mm 8.5mm***
Silver Arrow		4x 8mm OD  147 x 123 x 163mm	2x 140mm fans		   45.87mm	   61.4mm	73.5mm
Silver Arrow SB-E	8x 6mm OD  155 x 105 x 164mm	mid 150mm/frt 140mm PWM	   36.9/44/51mm*3* 51mm		77.5mm
SA SB-E Extreme		8x 6mm OD  155 x 105 x 164mm	mid 140mm/frt 140mm PWM	   36.9/44/51mm*3* 51mm		77.5mm
Silver Arrow IB-E	8x 6mm OD  154.6x103 x 164mm***	2x 140mm 1300rpm fans	   46.95mm	   51.5mm	67.8mm
SA IB-E Extreme		8x 6mm OD  154.6x103 x 164mm***	2x 140mm 2500rpm fans	   46.95mm	   51.5mm	67.8mm
TRUE Spirit 140 Power	6x 8mm OD  155 x  53.4x170mm	+ fan			   49.3mm	   26.5mm	77.5mm
HR-22			8x 6mm OD  150 x 120 x 159mm	+ fan			   41mm		   -1mm		70mm  5mm***	   

* add 3mm for motherboard to bottom fin
** center CPU to front of cooler W/O fan
*** Center CPU to PCIe side (base is off-center for better PCI-E slot clearance)
*1* recessed lower fins, the NH-D15 provide 64mm RAM clearance
*2* offest back for better RAM clearance
*3* fins are at 3 different levels
*4* fan clips add additional 3-5mm

If you notice any error or have any suggestions, please let me know. 
Edited by doyll

Eventually I got my replacement and at the time $360 for the GTX 770 that was dead.  Nearest EVGA replacement on Newegg at the time was $359.99 it was NOT based off my invoice pricing. It also took a couple weeks after they decided on what to do before I saw the money.

Glad it all worked out for you. 

If I may, what are you using for a cooler now?

Glad it all worked out for you. 

If I may, what are you using for a cooler now?

Still using the replacement they sent me, I just keep a close watch on it and check it every couple weeks for any signs of leaks.  It's bad when I barely ever looked at my custom kits (or the other 4 closed loop cooler around here) for leaks when they were installed yet have to monitor this thing all the time.

I have a spare real crappy LGA 2011 capable cooler (pic in the 750 TI thread posted in the op) that I used to ride out the months of RMA time.  If I was cooling something like my 4770K chances are I would have just bought a good air cooler and moved on, but once OCed the 4930K can dump some heat and the H100i is actually pretty good at handling that assuming it can keep working.