Problem file on C drive

chewy21

Hi

Yesterday I noticed that my free space on my 250GB Corsair ssd was down to 3.8GB!

I ran Windirstat to find out where my space had suddenly gone and it showed that a file named "ssdtool.0.bin" amounted to 63.6GB.

Does anyone know what this file/folder is? Is it safe to remove?

I changed the folders view option to see hidden files etc and still cannot see this file yet Windirstat says it is in C drive. If I attempt to delete the file using Windirstat I get a warning about removing system files/directories.

I have not come across this file/folder before and don't recognise it.

Your help and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.....................

post-78047-0-63202500-1398351290_thumb.jpg

Have you used any SSD tools lately?  Either to benchmark your drive or possibly optimize it?

As for "seeing" the file, in addition to seeing hidden files, you also need to un-check "hide protected operating system files".

Once you apply those changes you should be able to see the file.  At that point you can check the file properties and find out when it was created.  Cross reference that with installation dates of apps and programs. 

Did you install an SSD Tool and either run a benchmark or try to run an optimization or secure erase task? If so, and you quit the benchmark or task before it finished, it probably didn't have time to delete the files.

You should be okay to delete that .bin file.

Hi,

Many thanks for the two replies.

You are quite correct in your suppositions.

I had used the Corsair Tool Box software and must have inadvertantly clicked on something which started to back up/clone my drive. This was curtailed when I shutdown my computer.

The problem has now been corrected.

Thank you for your prompt replies to my query.

chewy21