usama7

Windows BSOD

There is another possibility, it could be the monitor. I just had one die the other day. Screen was all weird looking and everything seemed off. My gut reaction was the video card and I was about to swap it out when I decided to pull the DP cable from the monitor and see what happened when I went into menus, still the same messed up look. Put a new monitor on and all is well now.

I tried it on the DVI and the VGA passthrough. VGA passthrough works just fine so maybe DVI. Still I am gonna try it on another system just to be sure. 

So I tried the card on a friend's pc and it gave the same problem. Now I can send it in warranty to PowerColor meaning I'll have to send it back to my relatives in the US for it. The only question is that I re-applied the thermal paste on it about a month ago when it was going all the way upto 84C. That did help with the temps but did it void the warranty?

Depends.  Where there any "VOID if REMOVED" stickers that you had to remove or deface in order to get the cooler off the PCB?

Wish we would have known that you had disassembled the unit as the opening part of your post.............  That might explain the problems now.

Nope, there were no stickers of any sort when I opened it up. And how can that explain the problems?

And how can that explain the problems?

if your gpu suddenly shoot up to 84 (if that's not common with it) then there's something wrong with your card. or there might be something messed up when you disassembled it.

It would go upto 84 during gaming even though I have 3 fans for intake and this happened before I disassembled it.

though i have no idea how r9 270 behaves with their temps but room ambient matters and same with the airflow. 3 intake fans but how much for your exhaust? stagnant hot air inside the case perhaps? :dunno:

anyways,  seems there's nothing we can do with your card atm but hope that you didn't void your warranty for a claim.

I have 2 fans for intake and 3 for exhaust. My side panel has vents for the pc to take in cool air. As for the ambient, it was around 25 when the card started giving problems.

Nope, there were no stickers of any sort when I opened it up. And how can that explain the problems?

Because replacing the TIM on GPUs can be tricky.  You have to be very careful not to get any on the transistors around the core, you can use too little, or too much.  If you use too much, when the TIM gets hot the viscosity decreases and it can run off the core and down onto things it shouldn't be on.

This is especially a concern if you used and type of TIM that was highly conductive.

Also, depending on the cooler design, it may be integrated to cool memory chips and VRMs too.  Usually they use thermal pads for those components if the cooler was designed to contact and cool those too.  If this is the situation, did you re-use the old thermal pads, forget to re-install them or maybe one just slipped off.

Since removing the cooler involves a lot of handling of the video card, did you take the proper anti-static precautions when you where handling the card?

your fans' setup looks fine tho. and i presumed you've got air conditioned room with your rig, your ambient got ~10 degrees lower than mine's(no aircon) but my 560Ti hits around 70sh while gaming with 34+- ambient.

your card looks hot for me. are you having that temp since day one?

I used Arctic Cooling MX4 which is non conductive and I could see that it didnt run off the die. As for the memory cooling, the devil doesnt have any. Its just left bare to be cooled by the air from the fans.