Problems with my drive!

Alejoss!

So, it's time for a new HDD? it's about time, i can get a better brand, better speed and Sata 6gbps! that would make a difference! Thanks a lot guys :)

Better Brand: Nope, statisically Hitachi has the lowest failure rates

Better Speed: A little but still platter drive

Sata 6Gbps: This isn't as important since platter drives aren't that fast, even Sata 3Gbps is pushing it for many platter drives.

I wouldn't suspect the hard drive just yet.  Your cpu usage is 10% in that screenshot, which is unusually high.  That, combined with those low spikes on the graph kinda points towards a software.  I would run the test again, and this time, make sure there is no other software running, and have the task manager open during the test to see what process is active during those low spikes.  That could be the same process going on during your slow start up.  Your average and burst speed, is the same, or actually a little above spikesoprano's result, except you have those 3 low spikes.  And spikesoprano's cpu usage is (somehow) -1.0%.   If you can't identify it, then you could just do a fresh install of windows - you're gonna have to do this with a new drive any way.  You might as well try before you buy, unless you have money to blow.

But with that said, you should still get yourself an SSD!

Edited by Fight Game

attachicon.gifhd tune-1.jpgHere's how my 4yr old 500 gb reads after today's test, Most of them lose speed around the end of the test but do not bottom out like your's did.

All mechanical disks will lose some towards the end of the test.  Some more than others..  But in each revolution of the drive, there is more space on the outside edge than on the inside.

• Like 1

All mechanical disks will lose some towards the end of the test.  Some more than others..  But in each revolution of the drive, there is more space on the outside edge than on the inside.

I always wondered why that was, and now I know, ty.

Hey Fight Game.  Really happy to see you pop up here again at OCC  :)

OP - I'd try FGs suggestions first.  He makes a good point about a fresh install before going and throwing money at a new drive. 

Maybe he would swap anyway, just thinking of the amount of time it'll take to perform a reinstall, knowing that it MIGHT help.

Instead, go with your DUDE mind, replace that 500 GB with THIS 480 GB

Lol, jk, pretty good advice guys!